English is a true world language, the mother tongue of approximately 380 million people and spoken as a second language by over a billion more worldwide. As an English bachelor’s student in Leiden you’ll acquire an excellent command of spoken and written English and you’ll immerse yourself at an academic level in its rich culture, from the Middle Ages to the present day. Along the way, you’ll be familiarised with the canon of English literature, from Shakespeare to Coetzee, and you'll learn to translate texts from Old and Middle English.
Why the English Language and Culture BA programme at Leiden University?
- Because it’s an internationally oriented programme in which you will acquire near-native English language skills and learn to think and write about all aspects of the language at a high academic level.
- Leiden University’s English Language and Culture is lauded as an open, well-organised, ambitious and fun programme and its teachers are internationally renowned researchers in their fields.
- You will also learn English dating back to the Middle Ages.
- Language Acquisition: The Spoken Word
- Linguistics: The Phonetics of English
- Old English Language and Literature
- Language Acquisition: Grammar in Writing
- Language and Linguistics: Tools and Methods
- Literature: The American Renaissance, American Literature
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , EEA/EU
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Language Studies Literature View 7 other Bachelors in Literature in Netherlands
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- an equivalent of a Dutch pre-university education (VWO) diploma.
International12100 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12100 EUR per year during 36 months.
EU/EEA2209 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2209 EUR per year during 36 months.
Living costs for Leiden
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.