In the Spanish program of the University of California, Irvine (UCI) students advance their Spanish proficiency across listening, reading, speaking, and writing modalities while acquiring critical thinking skills, sociopolitical awareness and intercultural competencies that are valuable to a variety of professional and academic careers.
For students interested in interdisciplinary concentrations, the B.A. in Spanish is tailored for the possibility of declaring a double major in Spanish and other disciplines, particularly for students interested in teaching careers in K-12 settings, including dual immersion programs.
Upon completion of the Spanish major, all students will have met the following core learning outcomes:
- Students convey information and formulate opinions in Spanish across oral and written modalities while demonstrating control of grammatical structures, register, and style in Spanish.
- Students analyze and interpret the production of literary and cinematographic works from Spanish-speaking writers and filmmakers while understanding the historical and sociopolitical contexts of these works.
- Students identify and describe linguistic phenomena (e.g. sound system, word order, acquisition) that pertain to the Spanish-speaking world while taking into account speaker, regional, and situational variations.
- Students distinguish and describe cultural practices and diverse social and ethnic perspectives from the Spanish-speaking world (including Iberian, Latin American, and U.S. Latino communities).
With over 400 million speakers, Spanish is the third most widely spoken language in the world, which explains in part why Spanish has such a growing global reach and rapidly increasing national and international appeal—in business, education, the media, sports, as well as elsewhere. Knowledge of the Spanish language and cultures has thus become highly marketable in many professions (nursing, the entertainment and/or travel industry, tourism, among others).
The Spanish B.A. degree prepares students to have ready access to careers that require advanced knowledge of the Spanish language and the multiple cultures associated with it. At the same time, competitive students in the program obtain a solid preparation for graduate school. The students’ graduate career paths vary widely and include literary and/or cultural studies, teaching, nursing, law/ business, nonprofit organizations, medicine, sociology, and other specialties.
- Iberian Literature and Culture
- Latin American Literature and Culture
- Spanish Linguistics
- Textual Analysis and Interpretation
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Language Studies Literature View 2235 other Bachelors in Literature in United States
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at University of California, Irvine (UCI) and/or in United States, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- You must receive a 3.0 GPA (3.4 for non-California residents) or higher in the 15 required “a-g” subject courses, with no grade lower than a C.
- UCI will not consider SAT or ACT scores for admission or scholarship purposes. After enrollment, exams may be used for class placement or some graduation requirements.
- Personal Insight Questions (your personal insight questions should be exactly that – personal. This is your opportunity to tell us about yourself, what matters to you, your hopes, ambitions, life experiences, and inspirations. Key points about the personal insight questions include: freshman applicants choose four out of eight questions to answer, each response is limited to a maximum of 350 words. We encourage you to take your time. Be open, be reflective, and be honest. Your personal insight questions provide context for the rest of your application.)
- English proficiency requirements
International47272 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 47272 USD per year during 48 months.
National47272 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 47272 USD per year during 48 months.
In-State16246 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 16246 USD per year during 48 months.
Living costs for Irvine
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.