Taught in partnership with the Canberra Institute of Technology (CIT), which delivers the first year of the course as a Diploma of Early Childhood Education and Care, this four-year degree is carefully structured with a balance of both theory and practice in teaching.
During your first year of study, you’ll undertake professional teaching placements in early childhood and preschool settings.
Pedagogical Content Knowledge (PCK) units across your remaining three years are taught on-site in schools, providing you with ongoing opportunities to engage with children of all ages and embrace your course learnings first-hand.
Whether you choose to launch your career in an early childhood or primary school environment, you’ll graduate classroom-ready and keen to inspire the next generation of children aged 0 to 12.
Study a Bachelor of Early Childhood and Primary Education from University of Canberra and you will:
- gain appropriate scientific, literacy and numeracy knowledge
- learn the theories and principles that are the foundation for educational issues and practice in primary and early childhood settings
- demonstrate understanding of student needs and differences, and the relevance of these to learning in inclusive, indigenous, English as an Additional Language or Dialect (EALD) and mainstream settings
- plan and develop appropriate teaching activities for students from a diverse range of backgrounds
- develop and implement effective assessment strategies and carry out evaluation of teaching programs, resources and your own teaching
- apply the required content knowledge for all primary school curriculum areas to teaching, assessment and reporting methods, alternate/enhanced literacy and numeracy strategies, and the effective use of Information and Communication Technologies (ICT) in teaching and learning
- reflect on your practice and experiences and engage in a process of continual improvement.
- The Early Childhood profession is regulated by ACECQA and is accredited by ACECQA in order for graduates to be employed in Early Childhood settings.
- The Primary profession in the ACT is regulated by the ACT Teacher Quality Institute (TQI) and is accredited by ACT TQI in order for graduates to be employed in Primary Schools.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Curriculum Design in Early Childhood Education
- Development in Early Childhood Education
- Health and Wellbeing in Early Childhood Education
- Human Development and Learning
- Infant and Toddler Education
- The Practice (PCK) of Teaching English
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
DisciplinesEducation Educational Psychology Early Childhood Education View 225 other Bachelors in Education in Australia
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
Admission to this course is based on an entrance rank. A rank can be achieved by the following means:
- Year 12 ATAR
- other Australian Qualification
- work experience
- overseas qualification
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International29000 AUD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 29000 AUD per year during 48 months.
- Domestic - Commonwealth Supported Place
Living costs for Canberra
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.