At the French and Spanish Linguistic Studies MLang course offered by the University of Southampton you’ll start at a level that matches your ability in spoken and written French and Spanish, which will help you to progress quickly. You’ll also have excellent resources to support you. The Centre for Language Study at Southampton has everything you need.
Your language learning is complemented by modules in French and Spanish Linguistics.
A module in year 2 will make sure you’re ready for the following year abroad. You'll spend your year abroad on a study placement with one of our selected partner universities in countries such as France, Spain, or Mexico.
Year 1 overview
This year provides an introduction to Linguistics, the role of language in society, and its importance in nation-building. It also helps you build on your academic skills.
You’ll take modules that develop your confidence in applying linguistic tools to the study of language data and language behaviour. Topics include:
- an introduction to the languages of the Spanish-speaking world
- applications of linguistics
- the making of modern French
Year 2 overview
You’ll continue to improve your language skills and understand how French and Spanish relate to other languages. There will also be a module that prepares you for the year abroad.
- language structure
- discourse analysis
- teaching English as a foreign language
- language, ideologies and attitudes
Year 3 overview
You can spend this year abroad:
- as an English language assistant
- studying on a university course
- on an approved work placement
You’ll also do an independent study project.
Year 4 overview
After returning to the UK, you’ll take Masters-level modules and can focus on areas of interest you've developed during your studies.
You’ll complete a dissertation exploring a topic of particular interest to you in greater depth.
You can take French and Spanish language modules, and choose from others such as:
- teaching foreign languages to younger learners
- developing approaches to language teaching
- audiovisual translation
- transnational movement in the age of globalisation
- intercultural communication
Employability is embedded into modules from the first year onwards, right from the first lecture.
A year abroad can also give you the chance to achieve something away from education-centred activity, such as gaining relevant work experience to help form your future plans. With many employers now expecting extracurricular or voluntary experience, this can prove vital.
Your specialities in intercultural communication, listening and language will be highly valued by employers.
By successfully completing the MLang you will be in a strong position for future PhD study and an academic career. Previous graduates have gone on to careers including:
- international development
- advertising, film and television
- Academic Skills for ML students
- The Making of Modern French
- The Languages of the Spanish-Speaking World
- Modern French Culture
- Exploring French Linguistics
- Exploring Spanish Linguistics
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Languages Linguistics View 1535 other Bachelors in Language Studies in United Kingdom
We are not aware of any specific GRE, GMAT or GPA grading score requirements for this programme.
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Starting from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at University of Southampton and/or in United Kingdom, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
One of the following:
- A-levels: AAA including Grades AA in French and Spanish
- International Baccalaureate Diploma: Pass, with 36 points overall with 18 points at Higher Level, including 6 at Higher Level in French and Spanish
- BTEC: Distinction in the BTEC Extended Diploma plus A in A level French and A in A level Spanish or Distinction in the BTEC Diploma plus A in A level French and A in A level Spanish or Distinction in the BTEC Subsidiary Diploma plus A in A level French and A in A level Spanish
International20340 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 20340 GBP per year during 48 months.
National9250 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9250 GBP per year during 48 months.
Living costs for Southampton
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
In order for us to give you accurate scholarship information, we ask that you please confirm a few details and create an account with us.
Below you will find Bachelor's scholarship opportunities for French and Spanish Linguistic Studies.
You are eligible to apply for these scholarships but a selection process will still be applied by the provider.