Key features of the course
- Learn how to analyse a wide range of texts including fiction, poetry and drama.
- Develop and reflect on your own writing and editorial practice in several genres
- Learn the skills of complex argument and critical commentary, which are highly valued in the workplace
- Introduces the world of publishing and the requirements of professional presentation
Skills for career development
Studying English literature and creative writing will equip you with an adaptable set of skills that can give entry to a vast range of occupations, leading in a number of career directions.
You’ll learn to evaluate and assimilate information in constructing an argument; and acquire skills of creative and critical thinking, analysis, and communication that are much in demand in the workplace.
You’ll also sharpen up essential writing and IT skills. These are key skills that are crucial to many different kinds of complex organisations, and are greatly sought after in the world beyond study – whether you’re already working, volunteering, or changing career.
The breadth of study and the range of analysis, combined with training in clear thinking and communication, make this degree course relevant to a wide variety of careers, including:
- public administration, local government, the civil service, art institutions, and social services
- advertising, journalism, publishing, creative industries and public relations
- legal work
- business, banking and retail
- human resources
- charities and campaigning.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Reading and studying literature
- Telling stories – the novel and beyond
- Literature in transition: from 1800 to the present
- Advanced creative writing
- English literature from Shakespeare to Austen
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 36 months
- 72 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Creative Writing Literature View 19 other Bachelors in Literature in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- There are no formal entry requirements for this qualification.
- At The Open University we believe education should be open to all, so we provide a high-quality university education to anyone who wishes to realise their ambitions and fulfil their potential.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International6336 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 19008 GBP for the full programme during 36 months.
National6336 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 19008 GBP for the full programme during 36 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.