The field of healthcare, including medicine, pharmacy, dentistry and allied health providers, has changed so dramatically over the last twenty-five years that our traditional approach to training undergraduates has become obsolete. The traditional biology degree does not adequately provide the student with the knowledge to pursue a career in health. Preparing for a career in health requires an interdisciplinary approach with a foundation of science.
A scientific background is only about half of what it takes to be a good practitioner: the other half is the “human” component. As stated by the Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC), the doctor must be able to appreciate the diverse populations they work with and “have a clear understanding of the impact of behavior on health”. This requires understanding how psychological, cultural, social, economic, ethical and biological factors influence our lives and most importantly, our health.
The Health and the Human Sciences curriculum combines all of the necessary science, social science, humanities and critical thinking concepts, as well as field experience, in order to educate a broadly thinking and prepared premedical student. The major offered at University of Southern California is designed so that every student will be able to choose a semester abroad program as a component of this major.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Programme StructureCourses include:
- The Nature of Human Health and Disease
- General Biology: Cell Biology and Physiology
- General Chemistry
- Foundations of Statistics
- Elementary Probability and Statistics
- Scientific Inquiry and Reasoning in Health Care
- Sociology, Demography, and Health
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesPublic Health Health Sciences View 1601 other Masters in Health Sciences in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Official Test Scores
- Transcripts: First-year applicants should submit official transcripts of all high school and college coursework completed.
- Letter(s) of Recommendation: One letter is required from either your school counselor or a teacher from your school. Applicants to the School of Cinematic Arts must submit three letters of recommendation.
- Portfolio, resumé and/or additional writing samples: if required by major. Performance majors may also require auditions. Refer to the Additional Application Requirements section, below, for more information.
- Submit your fall grades (when available)
International57256 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 57256 USD per year and a duration of 48 months.
National57256 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 57256 USD per year and a duration of 48 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.