About the Program
As a human institution self-consciously aware of its past, "The Law" raises a complex set of issues that can be addressed historically. Legislation and jurisprudence, for example, allow historians a privileged perspective into how societies sought to define themselves, their values, and their membership. Constitutions provide maps of political power, and serve as sites of struggle over goods both real and symbolic. Records of legal practice are often well preserved, allowing access to the voices and actions of people who are usually left out of systems of political organization.The Law, History and Society program at Vanderbilt University approaches law from both a historical and an interdisciplinary perspective. Emphasis will be placed on close reading of legal documents, research in legal archives, and analytical writing. Students will be encouraged to develop reading programs and research topics that stretch across national and chronological boundaries, and to think comparatively. Students may not major both in history and in law, history, and society. Students majoring in law, history, and society may apply to receive honors through the History Honors Program.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Global History 1453 to Present
- Revolutions in the Modern World
- Pre-modern China
- Sex Law
- Women and Gender in the U.S. to 1865
- Biographies of Struggle
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesHistory Sociology Public Law View 226 other Bachelors in Public Law in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- All required parts of the Coalition Application or Common Application
- $50 nonrefundable application fee, or fee waiver for qualified students
- Official high school transcript
- Counselor letter of recommendation
- Two academic teacher letters of recommendation
- Optional for students applying for fall entry: SAT or ACT scores
- International applicants will be prompted to complete an international section of the Common Application
- Official results of the TOEFL iBT, TOEFL iBT Home Edition, TOEFL Essentials, IELTS, PTE Academic, or Duolingo English Test if applicable
- A completed College Scholarship Service (CSS) Profile, if applicable
International54840 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 54840 USD per year during 48 months.
National54840 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 54840 USD per year during 48 months.
Living costs for Nashville
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.