From the Olympics to Premiership football, our nation’s passion for sports coverage has never been stronger.
- Build high-level skills in researching and producing compelling print, radio, TV and online sports stories
- Harness the latest digital technologies which are transforming the way we receive and engage with sports coverage
- Take a unique opportunity to focus on the sport of your choice – from cricket, rugby or football to minority sports
- Gain invaluable experience through work placements, employer-led projects and opportunities to study abroad
- Be inspired by our team of highly experienced tutors with strong media backgrounds and extensive contacts
- Learn in our exceptional facilities which include TV and radio studios plus a fully equipped newsrooms
We've developed this Specialist Sports Journalism (Hons) course from University of Derby with your future in mind. New technologies are revolutionising media and the ways in which people receive their sports news. Today’s digital technologies allow people to follow their chosen sports much more closely – and they expect a high level of expertise from those reporting on sport. We will equip you with the professional knowledge and multimedia skills to rise to this challenge.
This course develops the broad range of knowledge and skills you need to become a multimedia professional, adept in the production of journalistic content for print, online and broadcast outlets. While it equips you to work in sports journalism specifically, it also prepares you for careers in broader areas of journalism.
The research and communication skills of a journalist are highly transferable to a huge variety of graduate level careers. Our graduates secure jobs not only in newspapers, magazines and broadcasting but also with online businesses and social media agencies. While many go on to work in traditional journalist roles, others find careers in PR, marketing, advertising and corporate communications.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Work-based Learning in Journalism
- Audio Journalism
- MOJO: Mobile Journalism
- Specialist Online Sports Joumalism
- Public Relations and Media Management in Sport
- Media Research Project
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 36 months
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesJournalism Media Studies & Mass Media Sports Sciences View 210 other Masters in Journalism in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- UCAS points - 112 (up to 16 from AS-levels)
- Specific requirements at GCSE - GCSE Maths and English Grade C/Grade 4 (or above) or equivalent qualification
- BTEC - DMM
- Access to HE Diploma - 60 credits: 45 at level 3 with a minimum of Dist: 15 Merit: 24 Pass: 6
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International14045 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 14045 GBP per year and a duration of 36 months.
National9250 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 9250 GBP per year and a duration of 36 months.
- Part-time UK students - £1,155 per module
- You will need to apply separately for the Vice-Chancellor’s Scholarship, the International Excellent Student Scholarship and the GREAT Scholarship, but all others are assessed for eligibility alongside your application.
- Our new EU Transition Bursary offers financial support to our European students. If you normally reside in the EU and are starting your undergraduate or postgraduate taught course in September or January , you could be eligible for this reduction in your tuition fees. If you have home fee status or have EU settled or pre-settled status in the UK, you are not eligible for international scholarships but you may be eligible for the Derby Achievement Scholarship.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Check for any work restrictionsVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.