From the Olympics to Premier League football, our nation’s passion for sports coverage has never been stronger.
In an age of digital news, there has never been a more exciting or challenging time to study sports journalism. This dynamic course enables you to produce compelling content for both traditional and emerging media platforms. And, unlike with other courses, you’ll have the opportunity to specialise in a sport of your choice – from minority sports through to cricket, rugby and football.
You'll gain the core journalistic research and writing skills as well as studying media law and ethics. At the same time, you’ll develop a multi-platform mindset, producing print, radio and TV reports as well as creating blogs and podcasts, digital photos, audio/video stories and content for websites and mobile devices.
This Specialist Sports Journalism (Hons) course from University of Derby develops the broad range of knowledge and skills you need to become a multimedia professional, adept in the production of journalistic content for print, online and broadcast outlets. While it equips you to work in sports journalism specifically, it also prepares you for careers in broader areas of journalism.
The research and communication skills of a journalist are highly transferable to a huge variety of graduate level careers. Our graduates secure jobs not only in newspapers, magazines and broadcasting but also with online businesses and social media agencies. While many go on to work in traditional journalist roles, others find careers in PR, marketing, advertising and corporate communications.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Imagery and Multimedia Practice
- Audio and Video Journalism
- Sports Journalism
- Event Reporting
- Sports Reporting
- Writing Skills
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 36 months
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesJournalism Media Studies & Mass Media Sports Sciences View 542 other Bachelors in Sports Sciences in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- UCAS points 104-112
- A Level BBC-BCC
- BTEC DMM
- GCSE GCSE Maths and English Grade 4/Grade C (or above) or equivalent qualification
- Access to HE Pass Access to HE Diploma with 60 credits: 45 at Level 3 with a minimum of Distinction: 15, Merit: 24, Pass: 6
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International14045 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 14045 GBP per year during 36 months.
National9250 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9250 GBP per year during 36 months.
- Part-time UK students - £1,155 per module
Living costs for Derby
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
- We have a range of scholarships, bursaries and discounts available to international students. You will need to apply separately for the Vice-Chancellor’s Scholarship and the International Excellent Student Scholarship, but all others are assessed for eligibility alongside your application. The £2,000 Postgraduate (PGT) Scholarship is awarded automatically to most (non-EU) overseas applicants, subject to eligibility.
- You will need to apply separately for the Vice-Chancellor’s Scholarship, the International Excellent Student Scholarship and the GREAT Scholarship, but all others are assessed for eligibility alongside your application.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.