What you will study
Primarily a one-year course, the BA Theatre (Hons) degree offered at the University of Surrey is delivered through online learning and is equivalent to Year 3 (FHEQ Level 6) of full-time study. The course includes three optional weekend tutorials, where you can join your tutors and other students for an intensive study and workshop experience.
Delivered by the renowned Guildford School of Acting, this course offers a range of modules that will integrate your professional experience with theory across a broad set of topics that include contemporary actor training, American political theatre, musical theatre, theories of performance, play writing, theatre design, choreography and musical theatre creation.
We’ll guide you to actively engage with relevant concepts, exploring the rich heritage of theatre from a critical, experiential and practical perspective.
Careers and graduate prospects
Whether you’re refocusing your career, want to pursue a masters degree, or are seeking to further your own personal interest and development, our online learning theatre course will open doors to a variety of exciting careers and further study.
Many past graduates have progressed to further study, either at PGCE, MA or PhD level, or have gone on to gain Qualified Teacher Status (QTS Assessment only) and other subject-specialist teaching qualifications.
Graduates of this course can be found working across the globe in leading drama schools, universities, schools, theatres and production companies, as well as performing in the West End and on screen.
Graduates over the last few years have secured roles such as:
- Actor, Lyceum Theatre
- Head of Drama, Knightsbridge School
- Head of Drama and Dance, Walstead School
- Actor, Vienna's English Theatre
- Actress/Singer, Queen's Theatre
- Marketing Assistant, Society of London Theatre
- Assistant Stage Manager, Jamie Hendry Productions
- Actor, Young Shakespeare Company.
- Theories of performance
- Contemporary actor training
- American political theatre
- Musical Theatre
- Political Theatre
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesVisual Arts Theatre & Dance View 23 other Bachelors in Visual Arts in United Kingdom
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Prospective candidates are required to have successfully completed a three-year National Diploma at an accredited drama school or have significant industry experience and equivalent qualifications.
- GCSE or equivalent: English Language and Mathematics at Grade C(4) (or equivalent)
International19700 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 19700 GBP per year during 12 months.
National9250 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9250 GBP per year during 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.