The BA English, Media and Cultural Studies with Foundation Year (Hons) at Liverpool John Moores University programme is designed with your future employability in mind, so you are encouraged to develop transferable skills such as research, formats for professional writing, communication, problem solving, teamwork and independent working.
The Foundation Year is ideal if you have the interest and ability to study for a degree, but do not have the qualifications to enter directly onto the English, Media and Cultural Studies honours degree programme yet.
You will consider and critically examine the study of media institutions, publishing and journalism, as well as forms of applied communication in practical areas including, public relations, social marketing, fiction, documentary, video games, magazines and new media.
You will also examine cultural trends and practices, including popular music, youth culture, world literature, neo-Victorianism, social media, travel, and fashion.
Alumni can be found working in advertising, marketing, public relations, museums, arts administration, media production, the publishing industry, retail, leisure and charitable organization management, educational administration, accountancy, the social services, teaching and the Civil Service.
- Preparing for Success: Academic Skills
- Investigating Liverpool
- War: Conflict in the Arts and Humanities
- Peace: The Pursuit of Harmony in the Arts & Humanities
- Researching Cinema
- Media Institutions and Audiences
- Reading English
- Literary & Cultural Theory
- Professional Writing
- Literature in Context: Britain in the 1950s
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Languages Media Studies & Mass Media View 549 other Bachelors in Media Studies & Mass Media in United Kingdom
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Minimum points required from qualifications 72
- All applicants should possess the following essential qualities: A real enthusiasm for literature and for finding out about the societies and ideas that produce and infuse it. We'll be looking for evidence that you've read widely outside your set-texts, and are interested in writing from a range of different eras and cultures.
- The ability to express your own ideas and opinions in a clear and lively way.
- Good analytical skills, so you can critically assess all kinds of texts and forms of communication: adverts, films, on-line communication, television and print media.
- Research skills that allow you to investigate the relationships between media, culture and society.
International16100 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 16100 GBP per year during 48 months.
National9250 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9250 GBP per year during 48 months.
- Placement (home student): £1,850
- Placement (international student): £3,650
Living costs for Liverpool
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.