Chemists develop life-saving drugs, medical devices, materials and sensors that can enhance our quality of life beyond measure.
Four-year MSci degrees are available for high-calibre students with the ability and aspiration to practice Chemistry at the highest levels. BSc students with excellent performance may transfer to the MSci up to the end of Stage 2.
Medicinal Chemistry Degree Highlights
Featuring a common curriculum in the first Semester which offers the possibility of transfers between the departmental subjects. The interface between science and engineering provides a unique environment for teaching and research
Studying for a Medicinal Chemistry programme at Queen's University Belfast will assist you in developing the core skills and employment-related experiences that are valued by employers, professional organisations and academic institutions.
Graduates from the chemistry degree programmes at Queen’s are well regarded by many employers (local, national and international) and over half of all graduate jobs are now open to graduates of any discipline, including medicinal chemistry.
The School has been awarded the prestigious Athena SWAN silver award for its work in promoting women in science.
Employment after the Course
Medicinal Chemistry graduates have entered careers in a wide variety of fields, including the pharmaceutical and fine chemical industry, publishing, marketing and teaching.
As regards the MSci in Medicinal Chemistry and the MSci in Medicinal Chemistry with a Year in Industry it is anticipated that graduates will go on to study for a PhD in a variety of leading institutions or take up a graduate grade position in the pharmaceutical industry.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Organic Chemistry
- Inorganic Chemistry
- Physical Theory
- Molecular Basis of Life for Medicinal Chemists
- Drug Development
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- 26 January - the 'equal consideration' deadline for this course.
DisciplinesChemistry Human Medicine View 516 other Bachelors in Human Medicine in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
A level requirements
- BBB including Chemistry and a second Science subject + GCSE Mathematics grade C.
- H3H3H3H3H4H4/H3H3H3H3H3 including Higher Level grade H3 in Chemistry and a second Science subject + if not offered at Higher Level then Ordinary Level grade O4 in Mathematics
- Successful completion of Access Course with an average of 80% with no less than 70% in any module including sufficient relevant modules in Chemistry. GCSE Mathematics grade C or equivalent in Access Course.
- 32 points overall including 6,5,5 at Higher Level to include Higher Level Chemistry and a second Science subject + GCSE Mathematics grade C.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International21400 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 21400 GBP per year during 36 months.
National4530 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4530 GBP per year during 36 months.
- Northern Ireland (NI) £4,530
- Republic of Ireland (ROI) £4,530
- England, Scotland or Wales (GB) £9,250
- EU Other £21,400
- International £21,400
Living costs for Belfast
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.