On successful completion of the Nursing in Psychiatric Nursing course at Athlone Institute of Technology, and registration as a psychiatric nurse with the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Ireland, you are qualified to apply for a range of psychiatric nursing posts and may apply for a position at staff nurse grade in the Irish health care sector, as well as seeking promotional posts in clinical nursing, nursing administration and nurse education.
As a graduate of this course you can avail of further academic/professional courses in clinical specialties e.g., gerontology, behavioral nurse psychotherapy, addiction counselling, family and cognitive therapies, at AIT or other third level institutions. If you wish to pursue a career in specialist nursing practice, you can apply for higher diploma courses in areas such as behavioral psychotherapy and counselling. Alternatively you may choose to pursue advanced studies in nursing education or nursing management.
As a graduate of this course you can avail of further academic/professional courses in clinical specialties e.g., gerontology, behavioral nurse psychotherapy, addiction counselling, family and cognitive therapies, at AIT or other third-level institutions.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Preparation for Practice (Psychiatric Nursing),
- Physiology & Microbiology,
- Learning and Development in Higher Education,
- Clinical Placement (Psychiatric Nursing),
- Principles and Practice of Nursing Care,
- Physiology & Pharmacology
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- EEA students deadline: 1 February
DisciplinesNursing View 45 other Masters in Nursing in Ireland
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Grade H5 at higher level in two subjects, plus Grade O6/H7 in four other subjects in the Leaving Cartificate. These subjects must include Mathematics, a laboratory science subject and a language (English or Irish).
- Mature applicants are not required to meet these minimum entry requirements. However, they will be required to undertake a written assessment.
International10000 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 10000 EUR per year during 48 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR per year during 48 months.
- Be a first time undergraduates
- Hold EU Nationality
Living costs for Athlone
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.