The Painting program of San Francisco Art Institute has been at the forefront of many important historical developments, including Social Realism, Abstract Expressionism, Bay Area Figuration, the California Funk Movement and the street art-inspired projects of the Mission School. This pluralistic history informs the contemporary moment where all possibilities are valued, from traditional approaches on canvas to interdisciplinary painting practices.
At SFAI, the ever-expanding definition of painting is affirmed by a philosophically diverse faculty enthusiastic about a wide range of approaches to material and conceptual solutions. Faculty challenge students to ask bold questions and to develop their own authentic approach to painting.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Students demonstrate the ability to consistently create drawings and paintings that embody significant technical, formal, aesthetic, and conceptual qualities in relation to a sophisticated understanding of historical and contemporary artistic practices.
- Students acquire a meaningful understanding of the responsibilities and social purposes that are concomitant to the public exhibition of art, emphasizing the contextualization of one’s art within an arena of public understanding.
- Students demonstrate an appreciation of how the crystallization of experience, medium, and information can construct a bridge between private experience and shared public awareness.
- Students develop abilities for self-evaluation and self criticism.
- Students demonstrate an expanded knowledge of global art historical precedents.
- Students demonstrate familiarity with contemporary practices in relation to a variety of cultural and ideological constructs.
- Students acquire requisite work habits and discipline.
- Students develop a record of professional achievement that includes teaching, exhibitions, curatorial projects, and community activism.
- Students demonstrate the ability to correlate and apply the methodology of art practice to a broad range of creative occupations.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Drawing Electives
- Performative Figure
- Beyond the Frame
- Painting as Protest
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
- Apply before
DisciplinesVisual Arts View 2223 other Bachelors in Visual Arts in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Online application, including the $75 non-refundable application fee
- Portfolio and artist statement (BFA applicants only)
- Letter of recommendation
- Official high school/secondary school transcript(s) or CHSPE/GED certificate
International45664 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 22832 USD per semester during 48 months.
National45664 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 22832 USD per semester during 48 months.
Living costs for San Francisco
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.