Artists in California have been combining art and technology for many decades.
These artistic forms of investigation are more relevant and compelling than ever before, particularly in the Bay Area with its culture of technological innovation, emphasis on social media, and DIY ethos.
Inherently interdisciplinary, the Art and Technology program of San Francisco Art Institute offers students the opportunity to explore the ways that technology has infused traditional approaches to art-making, as well as creating possibilities for the invention of new media practices.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Students gain historical and contemporary knowledge of the ways that artists use and have used technologies within their artistic practice, and familiarity with the theoretical frameworks brought to bear on the discourse surrounding such practices.
- Students acquire knowledge of concepts, skills, and techniques needed to produce art works that utilize digital, interactive, networked, and/or electronic media.
- Students gain an understanding of the characteristics and capabilities of various technologies (hardware and software); their appropriateness for particular expressive, functional, and strategic applications; their positions within larger contexts and systems; and their influences on individuals and society.
- Students acquire an understanding of concepts central to art works that utilize technologies, including narrative, duration, networked information, kinetics, and interactivity.
- Students demonstrate the ability to collaborate with others, both from artistic and other disciplines.
- Students demonstrate the ability to develop an advanced body of artwork utilizing technology that sustains an original concept.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Art and Technology
- Interactivity + Social Media Distribution
- Digital Media Distribution
- Electronic Distribution
- Games Artists Play
- Physical Computing for Artists
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
- Apply before
DisciplinesVisual Arts View 2225 other Bachelors in Visual Arts in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Online application, including the $75 non-refundable application fee
- Portfolio and artist statement (BFA applicants only)
- Letter of recommendation
International45664 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 22832 USD per semester during 48 months.
National45664 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 22832 USD per semester during 48 months.
Living costs for San Francisco
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.