If you have a level 3 qualification and several years' professional experience in a relevant subject area, plus a desire to help students begin their careers through further education, this Certificate in Further Education and Training (CertEd) course will enable you to teach at college level.
On this course – which is rated Outstanding by Ofsted – you'll learn the most effective teaching techniques by spending time on teaching placements in real education settings and exploring teaching theory in lectures and seminars. You'll also develop subject specific knowledge by working closely with course teachers and work-based subject mentors.
If you're not yet working or teaching in further education, you can study this course full-time at the University. If you do already have a role in further education, you can study part-time at one of our partner colleges, alongside your job. Wherever you study, you’ll be a student of the University of Portsmouth , so you’ll have access to all of our facilities and support.
After the course, you'll be able to take up teaching roles in further education colleges, sixth-form colleges and private training providers, or to top up your Certificate to a full Bachelor’s degree.
- Develop your skills as a teacher through practical experience in the classroom and theoretical study around further education
- Join fellow professionals from many different backgrounds for lectures and seminars, creating an effective peer network where you can share ideas and experiences
- Get more than 100 hours of work experience on teaching placements arranged by the University (full-time only)
- Choose to study full-time at the University or part-time at one of our partner colleges: Chichester College, Eastleigh College, Havant and South Downs College, Isle of Wight College or St Vincent College
- Be eligible for membership of the Society for Education & Training (SET) when you graduate, which enables you to work towards Qualified Teacher Learning and Skills (QTLS) status
Careers and opportunities
This CertEd Further Education and Training will give you the formal teaching qualification you need to teach in further education settings such as colleges, sixth-forms and private training providers, or to pursue further study.
What can you do with a certificate in further education and training?
After graduating, previous students have gone on to work in:
- further education colleges
- sixth-form colleges
- private training providers
- public services
- voluntary organisations
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
What you will study
Teaching block 1
This teaching block focuses on developing you as a teaching practitioner. There are 2 modules:
- Planning, Assessing and Evaluating Teaching & Learning Programmes – 30 credits
- Theories & Principles for Planning & Enabling Learning in a Specialist Subject – 30 credits
This teaching block focuses on providing you with a wider knowledge of the education sector. There are 2 modules:
- Professional Practice in the Lifelong Learning Sector – 30 credits
- Curriculum Design in a Specialist Area – 30 credits
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
Start dates & application deadlines
DisciplinesEducation Teaching View 605 other Bachelors in Education in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any specific GRE, GMAT or GPA grading score requirements for this programme.
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Starting from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at University of Portsmouth and/or in United Kingdom, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- A level 3 qualification within your subject delivery area coupled with sufficient experience to establish professional competence. Formal qualifications, experiential learning and Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) are also considered. All shortlisted applicants will need to attend an interview. Applicants must pass Enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) and Occupational Health checks before starting the course. In addition part time students are required to have secured their own teaching placement where you will teach at least 50 hours per year and have an identified subject mentor. Full time students will be provided with a teaching placement by the university.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
Living costs for Portsmouth
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Check for any work restrictionsVisit official programme website
In order for us to give you accurate scholarship information, we ask that you please confirm a few details and create an account with us.
Below you will find Bachelor's scholarship opportunities for Further Education and Training.
You are eligible to apply for these scholarships but a selection process will still be applied by the provider.