At the start of the 20th century there were fewer than 2 billion people. Now at 7 billion, Earth’s population is on target to reach 8 billion by 2027. How has this dramatic increase in human population impacted Earth’s life support systems and natural resources? What is sustainability? How do we achieve a sustainable society? These are very big questions and very complex topics to cover.
The Earth, Energy and Sustainability BSc major at Leiden University operates at the forefront of the field of environmental sciences, with a balance between understanding key concepts within a classroom setting, and applying the gained knowledge in real-life situations. This major in Earth, Energy and Sustainability offered by the Leiden University is focused on Ecosystem, Earth systems and Resource Management.
This major might be for you if you are interested in the following questions:
- What are GMOs and what are the opportunities and risks associated with using them?
- What are the risks of fracking? And which alternative energy resources do we have available which allow for economic growth while minimizing environmental pollution?
- How is biodiversity loss related to biofuel production?
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Water Resource and River
- Soils, Sediment and Society
- Alternative Energy Strategies
- Energy Environment and Sustainability
- Environment and Development
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , EEA/EU
DisciplinesEarth Sciences Sustainable Development Sustainable Energy View 3 other Masters in Sustainable Energy in Netherlands
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Copy of valid passport/European ID Card
- Curriculum Vitae
- Motivation Letter Form
- Copy of most recent transcripts
- LUC Application Form
- Application fee
- Proof of English proficiency
- Recommendation Letter
International11800 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 11800 EUR per year during 36 months.
EU/EEA542 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 542 EUR per year during 36 months.
- For students who have already started a bachelor study but starting a new study programme, the statutory tuition fee is €1084.
Living costs for Leiden
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.