Students have opportunities in extracurricular organizations, including the English Club, Sigma Tau Delta, the Writer’s Workshops and such student publications, as the literary arts magazine Luna Negra. Students are encouraged to study abroad, engage in undergraduate research, commit to service learning and complete a writing internship.
The English major comprises the following concentrations:
- The General concentration allows students to combine elective choices in creative writing, professional writing, rhetoric, historical literatures, genre studies and literary theory based on personal interest.
- The Literature concentration emphasizes the interpretation of literary texts drawn from a variety of historical and cultural contexts. Students develop an understanding of genre conventions and different theoretical and critical methods of analysis.
- The Professional Writing concentration offers training in professional writing and editing. Students select courses in writing, editing and rhetoric.
Program Learning Outcomes
Graduates of this English program from the Kent State University will be able to:
- Demonstrate specialized knowledge and skills in literary studies or professional writing
- Know research tools and methods appropriate for the academic study of literature, rhetoric or writing.
- Understand and apply a variety of critical theories to the study of literature, rhetoric or writing.
- Produce academic, creative or professional writing with attention to appropriate genre conventions, format and citation guidelines, stylistic expectations and grammatical rules.
- Complete a long written project with the application of appropriate critical, creative or professional approaches; mastery of research methods and resources; and awareness of audience, rhetorical context and discourse functions.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Introduction to Literary Study
- Literature in English
- Literature in the U.S.
- Critical Theory and Reading
- Senior Seminar
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Languages Literature View 1481 other Bachelors in Literature in United States
- The freshman admission policy on the Kent Campus is selective. Admission decisions are based upon the following: cumulative grade point average, ACT and/or SAT scores, strength of high school college preparatory curriculum and grade trends.
- The Admissions Office at the Kent Campus may defer the admission of students who do not meet admissions criteria but who demonstrate areas of promise for successful college study. Deferred applicants may begin their college coursework at one of seven regional campuses of Kent State University.
International20463 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 20463 USD per year during 48 months.
National20463 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 20463 USD per year during 48 months.
In-State11587 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 11587 USD per year during 48 months.
Living costs for North Canton
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.