Regardless of vocation, students who study a world language are better equipped to reach out and serve those who speak a language other than English. The ability to communicate with respect and cultural understanding in more than one language is an essential element of global competence.
The intercultural studies department recognizes that the work we prepare students for must be done in the language of the people we serve. Spanish concentration students start at a level beyond Introductory Spanish (currently SPAN 102), as determined by college credit or placement exam. Students are required to take Spanish courses focusing on communication skills as part of the concentration. Additional courses focus on culture and history.
Why Intercultural Studies - Spanish at Houghton College?
- Prepare for today’s multicultural world through both rigorous theoretical study and hands-on, experiential learning opportunities.
- Practice what you’ve learned in the classroom through our required intercultural experience.
- Travel the world through Houghton’s many off-campus study opportunities or internships.
- Integrate global engagement into every aspect of your education.
- Study with faculty who have extensive experience living, working and serving in cross-cultural settings around the world, and integrate these experiences into the classroom.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Introduction to Global Issues
- Intercultural Competencies
- Conversational Language (Spanish Communication or higher level)
- Culture Change and Globalization
- Globalization & Islamization
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Languages Linguistics View 1857 other Masters in Area & Cultural Studies in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- A completed application for admission (apply online or print the application)
- An official high school transcript (If you are a international transfer student, you are also required to submit all college transcripts)
- A completed recommendation letter
- A completed financial affidavit
- A $40.00 non-refundable application fee (ask your counselor about getting this fee waived!)
- Test Scores
International33920 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 33920 USD per year and a duration of 48 months.
National33920 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 33920 USD per year and a duration of 48 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.