Houghton College has a long tradition of our students going on to serve God’s Kingdom in missions. From the early 1900s until today, our alumni are all around the world sharing Christ’s love in diverse ministries including teaching the Bible, development, evangelism and medical work.
Given that there is not one set type of missions work, Houghton offers a variety of programs of study that prepare you for this service. At the core stands Houghton’s integration of faith into whatever major one takes. The breadth of liberal arts opens knowledge and skills appropriate for today’s world. From the intercultural studies base of Global Issues, Cultural Anthropology, Intercultural Competencies and other core courses, the missions concentration embraces historical, biblical, theological and practical studies along with field experience.
Along with the required classes in Bible and theology, you will also have opportunities to grow spiritually and begin to reach out to others while a student. This can be done in many ways from interacting with local children who need a big brother/big sister to meeting refugees in Buffalo who need a friend to teach them English. You can even work right in town with international high school students at Houghton Academy.
Additionally, there are opportunities to learn practically and spiritually through the student group Global Christian Fellowship, interaction with missionaries in residence, participating in New Vision Week - a multiple day focus on missions when mission organizations have reps on campus - and more.
Why International Studies - Missions at Houghton College?
- Prepare for today’s multicultural world through both rigorous theoretical study and hands-on, experiential learning opportunities.
- Practice what you’ve learned in the classroom through our required intercultural experience.
- Travel the world through Houghton’s many off-campus study opportunities or internships.
- Integrate global engagement into every aspect of your education.
- Study with faculty who have extensive experience living, working and serving in cross-cultural settings around the world, and integrate these experiences into the classroom.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Introduction to Global Issues
- Intercultural Competencies
- Conversational Language
- Culture Change and Globalization
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies View 1857 other Masters in Area & Cultural Studies in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- A completed application for admission (apply online or print the application)
- An official high school transcript (If you are a international transfer student, you are also required to submit all college transcripts)
- A completed recommendation letter
- A completed financial affidavit
- A $40.00 non-refundable application fee (ask your counselor about getting this fee waived!)
- Test Scores
International33920 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 33920 USD per year and a duration of 48 months.
National33920 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 33920 USD per year and a duration of 48 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.