Are you interested in preparing to serve in today’s diverse field of international development? Is God leading you to serve either nationally or internationally to make a difference?
Career options include community and international development; relief work, refugee services and other service-oriented vocations in diverse cultural contexts; health services, education, missions and Bible translation in developing countries; and multi-cultural contexts in the U.S. as well as the inner-city context
The program provides an intellectual, spiritual and practical foundation by which graduates may engage the many forms of development in strategic and sustainable ways at home and abroad. The major draws heavily on the methodologies and perspectives of anthropology and related social sciences, integrating the theory of cross-cultural development work with experiential learning in cross-cultural settings. In addition, graduates will experience pressing international development initiatives and will understand effective avenues for building a Christian vocation of global service.
For greater breadth and depth, all international development majors are required to choose a second major or two minors from areas of study, including art, biology, business administration, communication, political science, sociology and religion. Other areas of study for minors include economics, education, environmental stewardship, linguistics, management, missions and public health. These areas are selected to bring the skillset of a specific discipline to bear on development problems and potentials.
Why Major in International Development at Houghton College?
- Prepare for today’s multicultural world through both rigorous theoretical study and hands-on, experiential learning opportunities
- Gain practical experience in the field through an intercultural experience or an off-campus practicum specifically in development
- Travel the world through Houghton’s many off-campus study opportunities or internships
- Integrate global engagement into every aspect of your education
- Study with faculty who have extensive experience living, working and serving in cross-cultural settings around the world, and integrate these experiences into the classroom
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Introduction to Global Issues
- Intercultural Competencies
- Governance & Development
- Field Experience in Development
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesInternational Development View 183 other Masters in International Development in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- A completed application for admission (apply online or print the application)
- An official high school transcript (If you are a international transfer student, you are also required to submit all college transcripts)
- A completed recommendation letter
- A completed financial affidavit
- A $40.00 non-refundable application fee (ask your counselor about getting this fee waived!)
- Test Scores
International33920 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 33920 USD per year and a duration of 48 months.
National33920 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 33920 USD per year and a duration of 48 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.