Whether you start at beginners’, advanced or native-speaker level, you will study the core language components for the language you have chosen, gaining skills in writing, reading, speaking and listening. All our teaching is led by native speakers.
The remainder of your modern languages study will give you an opportunity to explore the literature, art, culture and history of the language area you are studying, from seventeenth-century French theatre to representations of childhood and youth in German culture, and from Italian fashion and design to visual arts from all the corners of the Spanish-speaking world.
Graduates of Modern Languages and English course at Royal Holloway University of London have entered a wide range of careers including international management, consultancy, sales and marketing, media and publishing, banking, the arts, politics, teaching, travel and tourism, translating and interpreting as well as language assistants and teacher trainers.
Recent employers include:
- Mazda Motors Europe
- The British Council
- Oxfam Head Office
- Merlin Entertainments Group
- Ralph Lauren
- Critical Analysis for Linguists
- French Language: Culture and Translation
- German Language: Culture and Translation
- Italian Language: Culture and Translation
- Spanish Language: Culture and Translation
- Critical Foundations: Thinking as a Critic
- Reorienting the Novel
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Languages Linguistics View 1459 other Bachelors in Language Studies in United Kingdom
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- A Levels: AAB-ABB
- A-Level grade B in English Literature or English Literature and Language
- Grade B at A-Level in the appropriate language(s) for the advanced-level language pathway. For the beginner-level language pathway there is no language requirement, but only one language can be studied at beginner-level.
- At least five GCSEs at grade A*-C or 9 - 4 including English and Mathematics.
- All teaching at Royal Holloway is in English. You will therefore need to have good enough written and spoken English to cope with your studies right from the start of your course.
International19300 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 19300 GBP per year during 48 months.
National9250 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9250 GBP per year during 48 months.
The fee for your year abroad will be 20% of the tuition fee for that academic year.
Living costs for London
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.