Why to study
Through classes in language, linguistics, literature and culture, students acquire a range of theoretical and practical skills, which open the doors to a variety of professions and occupational fields relating to the English language and to Anglophone cultures.
The English and American Studies Bachelor's degree programme at the University of Klagenfurt teaches students a wide range of practical, theoretical, and scientific skills. These skills relate both to the English language acquisition and to the application of anglophone research concepts. Students are qualified to
- competently apply the English language orally, in writing and on a theoretical level.
- adopt a differentiated approach to cultural artefacts.
- deal constructively with societal and socio-cultural commonalities and differences.
- deal productively with gender-relevant issues.
- integrate values and skills from Global Citizenship Education in the face of modern global challenges.
- as publishing editor
- in organisations working in the cultural and administrative sphere
- as translator
- in extra-mural and corporate training and continuing education
- in mass communication (broadcasting, television, print media, film, radio, Internet, etc.)
- in advertising
- in the leisure and tourism sectors
- in the development of lexika, textbooks
- computational linguistics
- in archives and libraries
- Art and Architecture in Late Antiquity
- Introduction to Linguistics
- Introduction to Literary Studies
- Advanced Language Productive and Receptive Skills
- Language Awareness
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- Test to determine the proficiency in English: The Oxford Placement Test is a test of general English language competence. It takes maximally 80 minutes and is administered online
- The additional examination Latin must be successfully completed by the fourth semester. The additional examination is not required, if students completed Latin lessons from the 9th grade onwards, amounting to at least 10 hours per week
- General university entrance qualification
- English language level B2
International1452 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 726 EUR per semester during 36 months.
EU/EEA726 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 363 EUR per semester during 36 months.
EUR 363.36 per semester and EUR 726.72 per semester for third-country nationals
Living costs for Klagenfurt
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.