During the bachelor in Communication Studies at Oglethorpe University - International Study Centre you’ll work on your own communication skills, from crafting a persuasive piece of writing to delivering a moving speech. You’ll also learn to look at communication through a critical lens.
Communication students analyze both text and subtext, separate fact from fiction, and break down the components used by other powerful communicators (both ethical and not-so-ethical, an important distinction). You’ll emerge as not only a more effective communicator, but also a better-informed consumer of media and messaging today.
The curriculum includes courses in topics such as public speaking, journalism, business communication, persuasive writing, and broadcast and electronic media. And because it’s Oglethorpe – where we love to draw innovative connections between disciplines – there is also a rotating selection of possible electives, such as:
- Just Food: The Rhetorics and Politics of Food
- Media, Culture and Society
- Gender, Culture and Communication
- The Rhetoric of Human Rights
- Media and Globalization
- Social Media Theories and Impact
- Race and Representation in the Media
Oglethorpe’s Communication Studies program also allows you to get deep experience in a number of specialized professional tracks:
- Media Studies
- Public Relations
- Rhetoric and Public Discourse
Life After Oglethorpe
Oglethorpe’s program in Communication Studies is multi-faceted and multi-disciplinary, preparing talented and curious students like you for a wide range of possible careers.
- Pursue a career in corporate or not-for-profit communications, advertising and marketing, journalism, public relations, editing and publishing, or even politics or law (both fields which rely heavily on being a great speaker and talented communicator).
- Build on your mind-expanding experiences at Oglethorpe and enroll in a graduate program in communication, journalism, or law. Some of our recent students are now furthering their education at Columbia Journalism School, DePaul University, Georgia State University, Goldsmiths University of London, University of South Carolina, and more.
- Former CRS grads are now employed at organizations like ABC News, CNN, Georgia House of Representatives, NBA TV, Superior Court of Fulton County, DeKalb County District Attorney’s Office, Fulton County Government, KCD Worldwide (an international marketing and PR agency), Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (the CDC), Cumulus Media, IBM, Scoutmob, Turner Broadcasting, and InterContinental Hotels Group.
- Theories of Communication and Rhetoric
- Public Speaking
- Introduction to Media Studies
- Writing for Business and the Professions
- Public Relations Writing
- Internship in Communication and Rhetoric Studies
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesCommunication Sciences Liberal Arts View 1615 other Bachelors in Liberal Arts in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Transcripts must be submitted in English from all secondary education institutions attended.
- Students must demonstrate English-language proficiency.
- Students have the option to submit a letter of recommendation on their behalf from a teacher, counselor, coach, or other appropriate party.
International40880 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 40880 USD per year during 48 months.
National40880 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 40880 USD per year during 48 months.
Living costs for Atlanta
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.