About the Ethnic Studies Program
Ethnic studies explores the concerns and contributions of people of color in the United States. The interdisciplinary Ethnic Studies program of Mills College will help equip you for a career in community organizing and advocacy, communications, education, nonprofit management, public service, urban planning, or related fields, as well as for graduate school in varied disciplines.
In small, highly interactive classes that span the humanities and social sciences, you’ll gain the skills and knowledge to navigate social contexts characterized by diversity in race, gender, class, and national origin. Dedicated professors will embolden you to express your ideas powerfully, work collaboratively with people from different backgrounds, and conduct original research. Ethnic studies majors choose from one of these concentrations:
- Race, Sexuality & Intersectionality
- Community Organizing & Social Justice
- Race, Culture & Power
- Transnationalism, Diaspora & Migration
- African Diaspora Studies
- Latina/o Studies
- American Indian Studies
- Comparative Ethnic Studies
You’ll also be encouraged to gain practical experience by assisting with faculty research projects and enrolling in courses that feature hands-on projects with local organizations. In and out of the classroom, you’ll gain the confidence you need to forge your own vision for social justice and to become a leader in your chosen field.
What Can I Do with an Ethnic Studies Degree from Mills?
Ethnic studies majors graduate with strong oral and written communication, research, cultural competency, and critical analysis skills. They work effectively with diverse populations and develop excellent team-building and collaborative leadership abilities. Recent graduates have used their Mills education to succeed in such positions as:
- Human Resources Director
- Youth Services Health Educator
- Director, National Giving and Volunteering Programs
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Programme StructureCourses include:
- Digital & Social Media & Youth Activism
- Comics & Politics: Visual Culture, Power & Ideology
- Celluloid Native: American Indians in Film
- Latina/o Politics
- Black Feminist Theory
- Ethnicity & Environment in California
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Ethnic Studies Urban Planning View 1872 other Masters in Area & Cultural Studies in United States
- In addition to submitting standard information, you’ll also share a personal statement and/or response to our supplemental question. The application fee is $50.
- Official transcripts provide the clearest record of your academic experience and achievement. Non-English transcripts need to be accompanied by a certified translation.
- Mills has a test-optional admission policy. If you feel that your SAT or ACT score is a good indication of your academic ability, we’d love to see it. If not, you don’t have to submit your score.
- To ensure your academic success at Mills, all non-native English speakers or students who have lived in a non-English speaking culture for three or more years must show proof of English language proficiency.
- As part of the Mills admission process, you will need to submit a completed Certification of Finances form and official supporting bank documentation.
International29340 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 29340 USD per year during 48 months.
National29340 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 29340 USD per year during 48 months.
Living costs for Oakland
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.