The Classical Studies major from the Elmira College provides an excellent broad background from which one can pursue a specific interest in the fields of ancient history, classical art, and archaeology in graduate studies.
Classical studies is a rigorous academic program that allows for the development of sharp analytical and critical thinking skills, along with an appreciation for art and culture. Research and writing skills are also fundamental.
Being such a wide-ranging interdisciplinary field, classical studies can complement almost any other major in a liberal arts education.
Students completing a bachelor of arts or sciences in classical studies immerse themselves in the study of classical history and culture. Students completing the classical studies major will be able to:
- Demonstrate a fundamental knowledge in the classics, predominantly in terms of ancient history, art and archaeology of the Mediterranean World
- Demonstrate basic knowledge in one classical language
- Demonstrate basic knowledge in classical literature
- Demonstrate the ability to analyze historical and archaeological data critically and deductively
- Demonstrate the ability to write thematic and analytical research papers, citing primary and secondary sources
- Demonstrate in-depth and advanced knowledge of selected ancient historians as well as topics in art, archaeology and history of the ancient world
- Demonstrate the skill to use, analyze and interpret primary sources in ancient history
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Classical Mythology
- Classical Literature
- Foundations of Literature: Ancient, Classical and Biblical
- Ancient Philosophy
- Ancient Greece
- Ancient Rome
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
International deadline: 1st of June
DisciplinesGeneral Studies & Classics View 506 other Masters in General Studies & Classics in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Submit an Application for Admission. We accept the online Common Application or the Elmira College Application. Transfer students wishing to use the Common Application should use the Common App for Transfer.
- Have your counselor send your official transcript, including senior year courses and grades to date.
- Submit one academic letter of recommendation completed by a teacher or school counselor.
- Have your official SAT and/or ACT scores sent to Elmira College (if applicable). As a test-optional institution we do not require the SAT or ACT for admission.
International36228 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 36228 USD per year and a duration of 48 months.
National36228 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 36228 USD per year and a duration of 48 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.