Rose Bruford College offers the only full degree programme in the UK for those who wish to study theatre and performance by online learning and there is no comparable online course elsewhere in the world. The Theatre Studies degree is taught via our on-line campus and is intended for anyone wanting to develop a thorough knowledge of the arts and practices of theatre and performance in their widest contexts and from early beginnings to modern performance. In addition to our full time route we aim to be flexible by offering a part-time study option a range of awards from HE certificate to full honours degree.
Why choose this course?
With over 20 years experience of delivering distance learning education Rose Bruford College is a world leader, offering awards in theatre, opera and education at both undergraduate and post-graduate level.
The College has an international reputation within the industry and a burgeoning profile in both practice-based and academic research. Our graduate employment success, excellent student satisfaction scores and highly qualified staff are all recognised in our Gold Award in the Teaching Excellence Framework.
The Theatre Studies Online programme provides a dynamic and flexible programme of study and attracts a large cohort of learners from all around the world. Our virtual campus allows you to study independently as well as work with others in small groups online where you will be part of a vibrant community.
"There is a wealth of knowledge and expertise in the subject team about the principles of effective pedagogy in an online programme. This has meant that the high quality materials generate deeply engaging student learning experiences away from the online environment, through effectively structured tasks."
Dr Tom Maguire, External Examiner, 2018.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Theatres at Work
- The Craft of Play Making
- Elements of the Performance
- Ways of Talking about Theatre: The Critical Audience
- The Playwright
- The Director
- The Actor and the Realist Tradition
- Musical Theatre: The American Golden Age
- Beyond the Stage: Space and Place & Live Artists at Work
- Topics in Contemporary Theatre
- Brecht and the Epic Tradition in German Theatre
- Shakespeare in Performance
- Theatre of the Absurd
- The Empire Acts Back
- Theatre Criticism
- Ancient Greek Tragedy: History and Reception
- Independent Research Project (for BA Honours Degree)
First degree applicants
Teachers / Teaching assistants
those seeking a career in theatre and performance practice.
The course benefits students from all age groups and has an international reach.
See our website for details of graduate destinations and careers.
Jayne Richards, SFSEDA, FHEA, CeLP (ALDinHE), ALT.
Online Curriculum Development Manager
- Dr Karen Morash, Lead Academic Tutor
- Dr Walter Anderson
- Dr Philippa Burt
- Dr Christos Callow, Jr
- David Chadderton
- Dr Stephe Harrop
- Professor Michael Walling
- 36 months
- 120 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , EEA/EU
DisciplinesTheatre & Dance View 9 other Masters in Theatre & Dance in United Kingdom
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Full time route: 96 UCAS credits.
- Part time route: We give consideration to applicants with non standard entry qualifications and all cases will be dealt with individually.
- The programme can be taken at a flexible pace of progression, thus spreading the cost and making this a truly viable option to full time study.
National2965 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2965 GBP per year during 36 months.
- A 60 credit module is £2965
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.