The faculty provides a one-on-one focus designed to improve each student’s writing abilities. Student and professor review drafts together, discuss using source material and building arguments, and fine-tune the student’s grasp of writing mechanics. The result: better, more confident and capable writers.
The Department of English aims to develop knowledge and appreciation of literature in English - Writing and of the various cultures, beliefs and experiences expressed in this literature, as well as the faculty of sound criticism and skill and grace in English expression as a means of personal development and professional preparation.
The Department of English at Illinois Dominican University offers three academic concentrations in the English major: literature, writing and English secondary education, which is designed to help prepare students for teaching in secondary schools as well as graduate study in English education.
Perhaps the classic career path for English majors is to become teachers after graduation. Many do—that’s why Dominican offers the concentration in English secondary education, precisely tailored to get Dominican graduates into the classroom as quickly as possible.
Law school, library school and publishing are other traditional favorites among English majors.
But English majors who learn how to employ the many “transferable skills” they gained during their time at Dominican—being able to think clearly, learn quickly, write well and see both the larger context and fine details—will find that employers in many fields who welcome them.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Programme StructureCourses included:
- Medieval Literature
- The Graphic Novel
- Forms of Drama
- The English Essay
- Introduction to Creative Writing
- Intermediate Creative Writing
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Creative Writing View 2809 other Masters in Language Studies in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Complete either the Dominican University online application for freshman, transfer or graduate, depending on your status. Freshmen can also apply using the Common Application, which streamlines the college application process for students applying to multiple institutions.
- Pay a nonrefundable $100.00 application fee.
- Enrolling students requesting documentation for an F-1 visa must submit a Financial Statement Form (pdf) to the Office of Admission. This is essential for receiving an I-20 and should be submitted along with all other admission documents.
International33900 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 33900 USD per year and a duration of 48 months.
National33900 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 33900 USD per year and a duration of 48 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.