Outside the classroom, majors of the Asian Studies program from Saint Mary's College of Maryland get the opportunity to experience Asian culture hands-on. You can even study abroad in an Asian country! You’ll also work closely with your professors in small class sizes-- something larger universities can’t offer.
The cultures of Asia are among the world’s oldest and most enduring and they also play an increasingly important role in modern world affairs. Emigrant peoples of Asia have reshaped the cultures of the rest of the world in profound ways, expanding what is thought of as Asia beyond national and continental boundaries, to include diaspora cultures in North and South America, Europe, Australia, and Africa. Asia’s many distinct and interrelated civilizations are ancient, dating to the Neolithic era, and widespread, geographically spanning the globe. The economic and political centers of Asia include the two most populous nations in the world and two of the three largest economies in the world. Thus, Asian Studies challenges students to explore some of the most influential and widespread cultures on the globe.
Because of this wide-ranging historical and geographic scope, Asian Studies employs a deliberate interdisciplinary approach. The core requirement for the major in Asian Studies is an interdisciplinary course that offers students an opportunity to explore various methodological approaches to this study area.
Moreover, Asian Studies courses may be found in the departments of:
- Art History
- International Languages and Cultures
- Philosophy and Religious Studies
- Political Science
- Theater, Film and Media Studies
This “area studies” approach demands that students take an active and conscious part in designing their Asian Studies program.
The Asian Studies faculty strongly recommends that students anchor their study of Asia in language study and study abroad. In addition to Chinese language offerings on-campus, St. Mary’s offers a study abroad program at Fudan University in Shanghai, one of China’s most distinguished universities. Students may pursue the study of other Asian languages through study abroad programs in India, Thailand, Japan, or other Asian countries; alternatively, students may choose to attend language programs at other universities and colleges in the U.S. Any study of Asia and its cultures is not complete without the study of an Asian language.
Participation in the study area is possible in any major, and in addition to broadening student horizons in the liberal arts, it provides excellent preparation for a future career in the U.S. Foreign Service, the United Nations, international non-governmental organizations, multinational business, and advanced academic studies.
- To complete a major in the cross-disciplinary study area in Asian Studies, a student must satisfy the following requirements, designed to establish the breadth and depth of knowledge consistent with the goals of the Asian Studies study area.
- Any Asian language at another college or university.
- Study abroad in an Asian country that includes intensive language study.
- Demonstrate at least second-semester college-level proficiency in an Asian language. Note: students who major in Asian Studies are strongly encouraged to pursue additional coursework in Asian languages.
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Literature View 2372 other Bachelors in Area & Cultural Studies in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- The Application
- Includes the essay (and our supplement) submitted by the applicable deadline
- Official Secondary School Transcript(s)Must be submitted directly from your school
- Official transcripts for any college/university work must also be submitted
- Secondary School Report and teacher recommendations
- Must be submitted directly from your school
- Standardized test scores
International28192 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 28192 USD per year during 48 months.
National28192 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 28192 USD per year during 48 months.
In-State12116 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12116 USD per year during 48 months.
Living costs for Maryland City
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.