At Kwantlen Polytechnic University, the Urban Ecosystems Major is an interdisciplinary program that combines horticulture, ecology, design, biology, chemistry, mathematics, business, and student-selected electives from the breadth of courses offered throughout KPU.
Students synthesize the science and practice of horticulture to resolve community, industry, and research-related problems in urban environments. Innovation and creative critical thinking are important essential skills that students gain through applied research projects.
Our program recognizes the significant role of plants in promoting human health and well-being in the urban environment. The program is built around the concept of "learning from experience".
Students will be undertaking projects that cover a range of interdisciplinary topics such as ecosystem inventory, assessment and monitoring, urban agriculture, urban forests and climate change adaptation, watershed, riparian and natural areas policy, planning and management, as well as small scale landscape interventions such as designing biodiverse roof ecosystems and walls, and creating, restoring, and managing wildlife and pollinator habitat.
The Bachelor of Horticulture Science program has the following strengths:
- Customized education through the selection of electives that support learner educational goals
- Emphasis on the economic, environmental, and social components of sustainability
- Strong connections with horticulture industry and community groups
- Development of essential skills such as teamwork, creative thinking, problem solving, and communication
- Capstone research courses which include business planning and the application of new skills to a community based issue
- Required work experience in horticulture
Programme StructureCourses included:
- University Writing
- Botany tor Horticulture
- Soils and Growing Media
- Sustainable Horticulture
- Plant Identification
- Foundations of Plant Health
- Computer Applications
- Business Problem Solving with Spreadsheets
- Introductory Biology
- Environmental Chemistry
- Horticulture Work Experience
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesNatural Sciences View 91 other Bachelors in Natural Sciences in Canada
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Students pursuing a Major in Urban Ecosystems must be admitted to the Faculty of Science & Horticulture.
- All applicants to undergraduate studies must satisfy KPU's Undergraduate English Proficiency Requirement through an acceptable High school course, undergraduate course, KPU course, or testing option.
International20136 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 10068 CAD per semester during 48 months.
National4426 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2213 CAD per semester during 48 months.
Living costs for Surrey
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.