The curriculum increasingly provides opportunities for students to gain a hemispheric perspective that includes the histories, cultures, and contemporary experiences of the indigenous peoples of the Americas.
Students may petition the director of undergraduate studies to have courses not listed approved to fulfill major or minor requirements; such courses will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis.
Upon completion of the American Indian and Indigenous Studies program at University of North Carolina Chapel Hill, students should be able to:
- Apply critical skills of analysis to a variety of primary historical sources and/or cultural expressions
- Exercise advanced writing skills that demonstrate clear articulation of ideas and effective expression of understanding
- Assess the value of interdisciplinary learning by engaging with a variety of disciplinary perspectives on the study of America within their major elective courses
- Interpret national traditions and ideals from different local, regional, transnational, and/or global situations and from diverse ideological and/or ethnic perspectives
- Report satisfaction with the American studies major and its value for their postgraduate academic and professional careers
Programme StructureCourses include:
- The Emergence of Modern America
- Myth and History in American Memory
- Literary Approaches to American Studies
- Historical Approaches to American Studies
- Approaches to American Indian Studies
- Comedy and Ethics
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Ethnic Studies History View 2440 other Bachelors in History in United States
- Letter of Recommendation: This letter should come from a teacher who taught you in a core academic area, like English, math, science, social science, or world language.
- Official Transcript and School Report: Ask your school to send us your official transcript by secure electronic delivery as well as an official school report.
- College and University Courses: If you’ve taken courses for credit at a college or university, you are required to report them on your application and include the specific courses and grades in the UNC supplement, but you don’t need to send official transcripts when applying.
- SAT or ACT Scores: Because of disruptions related to COVID-19, the UNC System has approved a waiver of the SAT or ACT requirement for candidates who are applying for fall 2022 admission.
International35580 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 17790 USD per semester during 48 months.
National35580 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 17790 USD per semester during 48 months.
In-State7018 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 3509 USD per semester during 48 months.
Living costs for Chapel Hill
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.