Students who complete the undergraduate curriculum and state-prescribed tests select either choral/general music or instrumental music to qualify for the K-12 Virginia music teaching license.
The Music Education program at Shenandoah University includes a balanced and sequential combination of courses and performance experiences designed to foster and develop skills as musicians and teachers, and to prepare students for successful careers in teaching. Students complete courses in music, music teaching techniques and general education studies to fulfill requirements for the PK-12 Virginia music teaching license. Licensure in other states is available through reciprocity agreements.
The unique aspects of our program include:
- State-required education courses are taught by music education faculty with several years of public school teaching experience.
- The Music Making homeschool music program held in our Music Learning Suite on campus allows students extended work in developing and delivering elementary music instruction supervised by a master teacher.
- Peer teaching in methods classes, recorded with embedded technology in our Music Learning Suite, prepares students for co-requisite field experience placements in local schools.
- Field experience and observations in public school music classrooms allow real teaching experiences well before student teaching at the end of the program.
- Student teachers are placed with highly qualified teachers in public schools within an hour of Winchester for supervision by our faculty.
- Basic Piano and Keyboard Harmony Skills
- The Musician Teacher
- Foundations of Education in Music
- Reading and Literacy in Music
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesEducation Music Musicology View 1131 other Bachelors in Musicology in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at Shenandoah University and/or in United States, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- Have your former high school send an official transcript directly to Shenandoah University’s Office of Admissions. If an institution is unable to send original documents, you must have an appropriate school official certify that the copy is an official copy with a stamp and signature.
- All transcripts from non-U.S. institutions must also be submitted for an academic credential evaluation to obtain equivalency information regarding courses, credits, grades and degrees earned. For first-year applicants, a general or document-by-document report is sufficient, and must include GPA. It is the responsibility of the applicant to make arrangements for the evaluation.
- All applicants must demonstrate English proficiency
- Please complete the Supplemental Application for International Students and provide financial documentation in order to start the process of obtaining an I-20.
International33790 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 16895 USD per semester during 48 months.
National33790 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 16895 USD per semester during 48 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.