About the Theater Studies Program
The Theater Studies program of Mills College will immerse you in extraordinary opportunities on and off the stage, including experiential courses at the Tony Award-winning American Conservatory Theater (ACT) in San Francisco. You’ll be empowered to perform, design, direct, and experiment—right from the start. In small, interactive classes covering topics from acting to staging, you’ll receive personalized attention from professors who are active performing arts professionals. You’ll join with other theater students—as well as students in other disciplines—to write, produce, and perform an original documentary theater piece that explores a topic relevant to Mills College and the Oakland community.
As a theater major at Mills College, you’ll take five required courses at ACT, which allows you to build professional relationships with a regional theater. You’ll attend performances all around the Bay Area and get to know the San Francisco theater community. Your studies will conclude with a senior thesis in the form of a piece you direct and perform (you may also write it!).
Throughout your studies, you’ll acquire the rigorous academic and experiential background necessary to thrive in the theater world and in a wide range of other careers.
What Can I Do with a Theater Studies Degree from Mills?
Theater studies majors acquire a diverse skill set—creative thinking and writing, collaboration, problem-solving, leadership—that are valuable assets in varied careers. In recent years, theater graduates have used their Mills education to succeed in such positions as:
- Professor and Program Director of Digital Filmmaking
- Actor and Teacher
- Director of Development and Communications
- Manager of Brand Content and Engagement Strategy
- Film and Theater Professor
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Programme StructureCourses include:
- Embodied Movement
- Documentary Theater/Playwriting
- Communication, Presence & Public Speaking
- Topics in Musical Theater
- Costume Design
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesTheatre & Dance View 1240 other Masters in Theatre & Dance in United States
- In addition to submitting standard information, you’ll also share a personal statement and/or response to our supplemental question. The application fee is $50.
- Official transcripts provide the clearest record of your academic experience and achievement. Non-English transcripts need to be accompanied by a certified translation.
- Mills has a test-optional admission policy. If you feel that your SAT or ACT score is a good indication of your academic ability, we’d love to see it. If not, you don’t have to submit your score.
- To ensure your academic success at Mills, all non-native English speakers or students who have lived in a non-English speaking culture for three or more years must show proof of English language proficiency.
- As part of the Mills admission process, you will need to submit a completed Certification of Finances form and official supporting bank documentation.
International29340 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 29340 USD per year during 48 months.
National29340 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 29340 USD per year during 48 months.
Living costs for Oakland
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.