The English and Creative Writing program at Sweet Briar College train students to engage with texts in the way that working writers do, dissolving the boundary between critical engagement and creative response and helping students discover that they grow as writers, as readers, and as human beings through explorations of both canonical and contemporary works of literature and through creative practice.
The reading and writing of literature are always in dynamic conversation, and we encourage students to produce work that references both the historical traditions of literature and the contemporary climate. As working writers, our faculty engage in projects that shift and develop over time and are informed by what we’re reading and what we discover as we write, as well as by the changing world around us. We prepare students to live and work as writers and to be more empathetic citizens and competent communicators, no matter what subjects they go on to study or what careers they pursue.
What is distinctive about studying English and creative writing at Sweet Briar?
Novelists John Gregory Brown and Carrie Brown — award-winning authors of 11 books — mentor students from the beginning to the end of their four years of college. These writers offer small, intimate workshops that enable students to work closely with their professors and classmates in an environment that is both challenging and supportive.
As part of an annual series, visiting writers offer readings and visit classes throughout the academic year. Visitors have included Natasha Trethewey, Azar Nafisi, Lee Smith, Beth Macy, Salman Rushdie, Yiyun Li, Derek Walcott, and Ha Jin.
English and creative writing majors complete portfolios of their writing in a senior seminar in which they also re-examine the authors whose works have informed their writing.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- The Literary Studio
- Philosophy and Literature
- Play and Screen Writing
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
Rolling Admission after December 2 (decisions and financial aid notifications mailed on a rolling basis after December 2)
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Languages View 2961 other Bachelors in Language Studies in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Completed application. Sweet Briar will accept either the Common Application or online application.
- Verified official scores from at least one of the following with an acceptable minimum score. Official scores must be submitted directly to the College. Please note: International students whose first language is English or who have attended an exclusively English-language school for at least four years do not need to submit a language exam.
- A standardized test is optional. Sweet Briar accepts either the SAT or ACT. Official scores must be submitted directly to the College. Sweet Briar’s SAT and TOEFL code is 5634, and the ACT code is 4406.
- Official copies of all high school transcripts (or equivalent) and college course transcripts (if applicable) in English.
International21900 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 21900 USD per year during 48 months.
National21900 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 21900 USD per year during 48 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.