Civil and environmental engineering is civil engineering with a focus on environmental issues such as waste management, building on contaminated land and water treatment.
In the Civil and Environmental Engineering programme at Cardiff University you will develop a thorough understanding of civil and environmental engineering theory, which will be backed up by practical application through laboratory and research work, field trips and design classes. Optional modules can be selected from those with an environmental theme.
The MEng allows you to use the last two years to expand and strengthen your knowledge in civil and environmental engineering. You will benefit from advanced learning in design and management and an appreciation of the techniques needed to manage and organise a multidisciplinary engineering design project.
Other civil and environmental engineering courses include:
- A thorough grounding in the fundamentals of civil engineering if you choose a BEng course.
- The opportunity to follow a sandwich year in industry if you choose the relevant four-year BEng or five-year MEng degree option.
- The opportunity to study abroad at a partner institution for one semester if you choose the relevant MEng (International) degree option.
- The opportunity to study a language if you choose the relevant MEng degree option with a sandwich year at a university in France, Germany or Spain.
Graduates from this course are mainly employed in the civil engineering industry with major consultancy and contracting firms, such as Sir Robert McAlpine, Ramboll, Arup, Mott McDonald and others. Typical roles include graduate civil engineer, site engineer or design engineer, and they are based throughout the UK as well as further afield.
In 2015/16, 95% of the School’s graduates who were available for work reported they were in employment and/or further study within six months of graduation.
A number of graduates have opted for further study, either at MSc or PhD level, at Cardiff as well as institutions across the UK and beyond.
Others have chosen to work for national and multinational companies. Recent examples include companies in the financial, media and petrochemical sectors with destinations including Deloitte, PwC, Virgin and Shell.
- Graduate Civil Engineer
- Site Engineer
- Design Engineer
Accredited by the Institution of Civil Engineers, the Institution of Structural Engineers, the Chartered Institution of Highways and Transportation and the Institute of Highway Engineers on behalf of the Engineering Council
- Engineering Analysis
- Environmental Fluid and Geomechanics
- Materials and Construction
- Design Studies
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesEnvironmental Engineering Civil Engineering & Construction Materials Science & Engineering View 209 other Bachelors in Materials Science & Engineering in United Kingdom
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- AAA-AAB. Must include grade A in Maths. You will need to pass the science practical element of the A-level if this is part of your programme of study.
- The Welsh Baccalaureate Advanced Skills Challenge Certificate will be accepted in lieu of one A-Level (at the grades listed above), excluding any specified subjects.
- DD in a BTEC Diploma in any subject and grade A in A-Level Maths.
- IB: 36-34 overall or 666 in 3 HL subjects. Must include grade 6 in HL Maths.
- If you are offering non-UK qualifications, our qualification equivalences guide should allow you to calculate what kind of offer you are likely to receive.
- We do not accept Critical Thinking, General Studies, Citizenship Studies, or other similar equivalent subjects.
National9000 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9000 GBP per year during 48 months.
We are currently awaiting confirmation on tuition fees for the 2022/23 academic year.
Living costs for Cardiff
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.