The Intellectual Disability Nursing (Hons) program offered by Waterford Institute of Technology is an excellent choice for students interested in a healthcare career. Because human beings are complex, careers in nursing are amongst the most challenging; they are also some of the most rewarding.
The Intellectual Nursing Course is delivered in a purpose-built, state-of-the-art learning environment and students undertake clinical practice around the south east region.
Successfully completing all aspects of the course allows you to register as an Intellectual Disability Nurse with An Bord Altranais.
Clinical experience is an essential element of the course in order to register as an Intellectual Disability nurse. There are over 80 weeks of clinical placement throughout the course including a 36 week continuous internship placement in year four. Students will be accommodated on clinical placements in Wexford, Waterford, Kilkenny, Carlow and South Tipperary.
Graduates may practice as a Registered Intellectual Disability Nurse within the Irish healthcare sector and voluntary services. Universally Irish nurses are highly regarded by other countries thus enhancing work opportunities.
- Foundations in Intellectual Disability Nursing
- Caring for People wih Intellectual Disability
- Anatomy & Physiology
- Intellectual Disabilities Nursing Skills & Experience
- Introduction to Intellectual Disabilities Nursing
- Caring for People with Intellectual Disability
- Health & Psychosocial Studies
- Medication Management
- Introduction to Pathophysiology
- Nursing Skills for Acute Care
- Supporting People with Mental Health Problems
- Ethical, Legal & Political Issues in Intellectual Disabilities
- Supporting the Adolescent with Intellectual Disabilities
- Nursing Skills
- Management & Leadership in Healthcare
- Behavioural Approaches in Intellectual Disabilities
- Supporting the Adult & Older Adult with Intellectual Disabilities
- Health Assessment Through the Lifespan
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , EEA/EU
DisciplinesPsychology Nursing View 37 other Bachelors in Psychology in Ireland
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
Minimum entry requirements:
- 2 subjects: H5
- 4 subjects: O6/H7
- English or Irish: O6/H7
- Mathematics: O6/H7
- Science: 06/H7
- A laboratory science subject (biology, physics, chemistry, physics & chemistry (joint) or agricultural science)
- Three other subjects (may include Irish or English and a laboratory science subject not included already) or have equivalent second level educational qualifications to the foregoing.
- The minimum educational requirements may be accumulated over not more than two sittings of the leaving certificate examination or an equivalent examination.
International10250 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 10250 EUR per year during 48 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR per year during 48 months.
Living costs for Waterford
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.