The course offers a balance between practical and theoretical modules within the context of the principal music genres (classical, Irish traditional, jazz and popular). This diversity will serve the student well both in the current job market and in pursuing postgraduate study opportunities.
BA (Hons) in Music course special features
The BA in Music (Hons) from Waterford Institute of Technology offers a unique opportunity to embrace the classical, Irish traditional or jazz and popular music genres. The balance between academic and practical music subjects is very desirable in the current job market, and the opportunity to specialise in Year 4 allows the student to focus on their strengths.
BA (Hons) in Music career opportunities
A degree in music is a valuable asset for access to many other careers. In particular, music graduates are sought after in professions which demand a high level of personal confidence, communication skills and expressive ability. Graduates of the course have found employment in:
- Music Publishing and Editing
- Arts Management
- Multi-media Composers and Arrangers
- Music Therapy
- Music Journalism
- Music Education
- Aural Skills
- Music History: Popular Music
- Critical Thinking & Writing Skills
- Music Research Methodologies
- Music Technology
- Musicianship: Vocal & Irish Traditional Music Skills
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesElectronics & Embedded Technology Music Musicology View 17 other Bachelors in Musicology in Ireland
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- 2 subjects: H5
- 4 subjects: O6/H7
- English or Irish: O6/H7
- Mathematics: O6/H7
- All applicants must submit an audition video or attend a Zoom interview to show a performance standard achievement with a musical instrument/voice equivalent to grade 5 of a recognised music examining body
- Please note that the BA (Hons) in Music is a restricted course, applicants must apply by 1 February.
- If English is not your first language, students should present evidence of competence.
- You should be at least 17 years of age in January of the year of entry.
- You must have a Secondary/High School Diploma, with good grades in English and Mathematics and at least 4 other subjects, on average + 60%.
International10250 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 10250 EUR per year during 48 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR per year during 48 months.
Student Contribution €3,000
Living costs for Waterford
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.