Medical laboratory science is an important scientific discipline in the healthcare sector. Medical laboratory scientists perform laboratory analysis of clinical samples, which aids in disease diagnosis, treatment, risk assessment and the investigation of underlying disease mechanisms.
This is the first full-time government-funded undergraduate programme in medical laboratory science in Hong Kong.
The Medical Laboratory Science (Honours) from The Hong Kong Polytechnic University curriculum comprises university-based education and medical laboratory science-specific subjects, which are integrated with clinical training.
The Hong Kong Polytechnic University aims to nurture students’ global perspectives, providing students with good opportunities to engage in overseas exchange activities and undertake clinical attachment at overseas hospital laboratories.
A wide range of career opportunities are open to graduates of this programme, including careers in medical laboratories in both public and private sectors (e.g. hospitals and clinics), the medical biotechnology sector, environmental science, agricultural and food testing industries. Graduates can also choose to pursue careers in academic or research areas through further study to Master or PhD level.
- Year One studies include compulsory university subjects such as Freshman Seminars for Health Science and fundamental language subjects; Foundation Subjects in medical laboratory science such as Human Physiology, Human Anatomy, General Chemistry, Laboratory Techniques & Safety, and Clinical Laboratory Instrumentation.
- Year Two includes more Foundation Subjects in medical laboratory science such as Immunology, Human Biochemistry, Biostatistics and Pathophysiology.
- Year Three emphasises the remaining three core medical laboratory science disciplines - Cellular Pathology, Haematology, and Medical Microbiology.
- Year Four extends to applied subjects such as Human Genetics, Molecular Diagnosis of Human Disease, and Legal and Ethical Issues in Healthcare, and one Elective Subject from a range of other cross-disciplinary health-related subject areas.
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesPublic Health Human Medicine Health Sciences View 7 other Bachelors in Human Medicine in Hong Kong (SAR)
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
Satisfy the University's General Entrance Requirements of 4 core and 2 elective subjects with:
- Level 3 in English Language, Chinese Language and two elective subjects; and
- Level 2 in Mathematics and Liberal Studies.
There is no compulsory subject requirement. Preferred elective subjects for the programme include:
- Chemistry; and
- Combined Science with Biology and Chemistry.
International18684 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 18684 USD per year during 48 months.
National5425 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 5425 USD per year during 48 months.
- HK$42,100 per academic year for local students.
- For non-local students, the tuition fee is HK$145,000
Living costs for Hong Kong
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Up to a maximum of HKD 190,000/USD 24,000 per annum
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.