The curriculum of the Applied Economics (Honours) programme of the Open University of Hong Kong aims to equip students with a solid foundation in economics with applied orientation so that they can serve at the managerial/administrative level in commerce, industry, education and the financial sectors as well as government agencies. On successful completion of the programme, the graduates are expected to be able to (a) demonstrate broad knowledge in economics, (b) apply economic theories to analyse real world situations and problems, (c) apply relevant methodology and quantitative skills in economics analysis, and (d) think analytically and critically about economics and related issues.
Career and Further Studies
Many of the economics graduates are employed at the managerial/administrative level in commerce, industry, education and the financial sectors as well as government agencies. It also prepares graduates to further their studies in economics and related disciplines in local and overseas universities.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Foundation of Social Sciences: Economics
- Mathematics for Economics
- Economic System of Hong Kong
- Applied Economics in Public Policy Analysis
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesEconomics Finance Econometrics View 7 other Bachelors in Economics in Hong Kong (SAR)
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Applicants with Hong Kong Diploma of Secondary Education (HKDSE) qualifications are required to obtain Level 3 or above in Chinese Language and English Language, as well as Level 2 or above in Mathematics, Liberal Studies and an elective subject (or equivalent).
- Applicants with local academic qualifications other than HKDSE are required to:
- Complete Year 1 study of a recognized Associate Degree or Higher Diploma programme; or
- Obtain Grade E or above in AS Chinese Language & Culture4 and Use of English, and 2 AL / 1 AL plus 2 AS / 4 AS subjects in the Hong Kong Advanced Level Examination (or equivalent).
- Applicants with non-local academic qualifications are required to obtain:
- Grade E or above in 2 AL / 1AL plus 2 AS subjects5 in the General Certificate of Education AL / International AL; or
- An overall minimum score of 24 in the International Baccalaureate Diploma; or
- Other equivalent overseas academic qualifications (as determined by the University).
International10983 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 10983 USD per year during 48 months.
National8448 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 8448 USD per year during 48 months.
- National: 65,480 HKD per year
- International: 85,124 HKD per year
Living costs for Hong Kong
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.