Candidates in the Secondary Biology Education program of The University of Tampa will gain certification to teach science, grades 6 through 12.
Topics of Study
The University of Tampa’s secondary biology education program focuses on:
- teaching biology
- teaching chemistry
- teaching physical science
- exploring the experiential, ideological, theoretical and relational dimensions of student teaching
- creating instructional units
- implementing technology in the classroom
- building classroom communities
- understanding classroom ethics and law
- assisting learners with special needs
- creating assessments and evaluations
- applying multicultural theory in the classroom
- integrating curriculum
In order to become a certified teacher, candidates must pass three examinations. One of the tests will be built into the admission process for the Department of Education. The remaining two exams will be required for graduation. The exams biology education majors must pass include:
- General Knowledge Test (GK): All candidates must take and pass all sections of this exam to be admitted into UT’s Department of Education.
- Professional Education, Florida Teacher Certification Exam (FCTE): All candidates must pass the professional education exam to become a certified teacher.
- Biology Subject Area, Florida Teacher Certification Exam (FCTE): All secondary biology candidates must pass this exam to become certified teachers of science (grades 6-12).
Programme StructureCourses include:
- American Education
- Human Development and Learning
- Philosophy of Education and Teacher Learner Relationships
- General Biology
- General Chemistry
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
- Apply before
Applications for spring entry are evaluated on a rolling basis until the class is full. Applying early is encouraged.
DisciplinesEducation Biology Teaching View 1484 other Bachelors in Teaching in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Official transcripts of all secondary school coursework and grades translated in English.
- Essay written in English.
- A recommendation written by a counselor, teacher or headmaster.
- English language proficiency scores.
- International students also must furnish proof of available funds to cover their first year of study (including miscellaneous expenses) and each subsequent year.
- Upon admission to the University and satisfactory completion of the financial statement, an I-20 form will be sent to applicants from UT’s admissions office.
International28802 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 28802 USD per year during 48 months.
National28802 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 28802 USD per year during 48 months.
Living costs for Tampa
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.