The American Studies (United States) with Film (Including Foundation Year and Year Abroad) course offered by the University of Essex enables you to assess American contributions to our understanding of political, historical, social and cultural perspectives of the world. You combine studies of the US with a number of options in film studies offered by our Department of Literature, Film, and Theatre Studies, Department of History, and School of Philosophy and Art History.
Crucially, you also spend either a term or a full academic year studying in the United States, so you can explore and become immersed in American culture.
As a graduate in American Studies, you’ll have gained a wide-ranging knowledge of many aspects of American life. You’ll acquire essential critical abilities as well as excellent communication skills.
This is excellent preparation for careers in media, education, politics, the Civil Service, international organisations such as UN and NATO or non-governmental organisations, and many other fields. Our recent graduates have gone on to work in various desirable roles including:
- Account executive for Bluesky PR
- Business provision manager for BT
- Events co-ordinator for Age UK
We also nurture the creative talent for tomorrow, developing filmmakers, scholars, and thinkers with a dynamic worldview:
- Gain hands-on experience of camera work, sound recording, editing, lighting, and scriptwriting
- Explore the formal aesthetics of film composition and structure in relation to different contexts of production and reception
- Discover the history and social significance of film as a global medium
- Understand the links between critical analysis and creative practice
- Produce both group films and personal projects
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Political and Social Theory From Plato to the Present Day
- Major Writers in English Literature
- Philosophy: Fundamental Questions, Major Thinkers
- Research and Academic Development Skills
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 60 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesFilm, Photography & Media American Studies View 53 other Bachelors in American Studies in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
UK and EU applicants:
All applications for degree courses with a foundation year (Year Zero) will be considered individually, whether you
- think you might not have the grades to enter the first year of a degree course;
- have non-traditional qualifications or experience (e.g. you haven’t studied A-levels or a BTEC);
- are returning to university after some time away from education; or
- are looking for more support during the transition into university study.
Our standard offer is 72 UCAS tariff points from at least two full A-levels, or equivalent.
Examples of the above tariff may include:
- A-levels: DDD
- BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma: MMP
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International16850 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 16850 GBP per year during 60 months.
National9250 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9250 GBP per year during 60 months.
Living costs for Colchester
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.