The Astronomy program at Valparaiso University prepare students for graduate study, positions as high school teachers, and entry-level work as physicists in government or industry. Several degree options meet a range of needs and interests.
This degree program highlights students’ interest and preparation in astronomy.
Students who pursue this degree adopt one of the following options:
- a stand-alone major in astronomy, achieved by completing at least eight additional credit hours in astronomy;
- a second major in a non-science discipline;
- a disciplinary science minor (qualifying disciplines include biology, chemistry, computer science, engineering, geography, geology, mathematics, meteorology, physics, and psychology); OR
- a minor in fundamentals of business, business administration, applied statistics, engineering, or geographic information systems.
In addition to completing the required courses, students are encouraged to take advantage of any of the many research opportunities available at Valpo.
- Astronomy Laboratory
- Observational Astronomy
- Stellar Astrophysics
- Galactic Astrophysics and Cosmology
- Senior Research in Astronomy
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
- Apply before , International
Rolling admissions. However, applying as early as possible after our application opens is recommended to have the greatest number of scholarship opportunities. The international deadline of May 1, is the preferred date.
DisciplinesPhysics Astronomy & Space Sciences View 318 other Bachelors in Astronomy & Space Sciences in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Starting from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at Valparaiso University and/or in United States, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- Your application to Valparaiso University
- A copy of your passport
- An official copy of your high school transcripts, with an English translation if they are in another language. Your transcripts are considered official if:They are sent directly from your guidance counselor or another high school official.
- You bring them to campus in a sealed and stamped envelope that came directly from your high school.
- They are sent directly from a credential evaluator, such as WES or ECE.
- They are directly from a government sponsoring organization or EducationUSA officer.
International43400 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 43400 USD per year during 48 months.
National43400 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 43400 USD per year during 48 months.
Living costs for Valparaiso
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.