The Applied Biological Sciences program offered by South Dakota School of Mines & Technology has a wide range of options to uniquely prepare graduates to pursue cross-disciplinary and technology-oriented careers and professional development paths. Students can select courses from an extensive list of electives to suit their particular interests and career aspirations. Students wishing to pursue careers or graduate study in medicine, pharmaceutical science, biomedical technology, medical and patent law, academic research, among other areas, can choose an interdisciplinary approach involving courses in molecular biology and microbiology.
For students wishing to prepare for graduate study in biomedical engineering or pursue career fields such as bioprocessing or bioenergy, the ABS program provides an opportunity to meld biology with world-class engineering courses. This focus involves academic preparation in various engineering disciplines, including chemical, materials & metallurgical or mechanical engineering.
- Are rigorously trained in ABS, including microbiology, genetics, and cell and molecular biology.
- Acquire a solid foundation in mathematics, chemistry, and biochemistry.
- Enjoy customized instruction and preparation for the workplace, graduate, or professional school.
- Pursue successful cross-disciplinary, technology-oriented, and health related careers.
- Prepared, with further certification, to fill the demand for highly-trained science teachers.
Co-ops and Internships
Through cooperative education (co-ops) and internships, School of Mines students have many opportunities to apply their education to "real world" work experiences. Students are employed by industry and government agencies in positions related to Chemistry or Applied Biological Sciences. Students may gain 1-3 hours of academic credit for their co-op or internship experience upon department approval.
- Human Anatomy
- Biomedical Physiol
- Current Bioethical Issues
- Cancer Biology
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , International
No deadline for admission. However, all international applicants should submit their documents at least three months prior to the start of the semester.
DisciplinesBiology Bioinformatics & Biostatistics Genetics View 969 other Bachelors in Genetics in United States
- Completed online application
- Academic credentials (translated into English)
- English proficiency
- SAT or ACT scores
- Evaluation of academic credentials
- Financial information documenting ability to pay
International15400 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 15400 USD per year during 48 months.
National15400 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 15400 USD per year during 48 months.
In-State11020 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 11020 USD per year during 48 months.
Living costs for Rapid City
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.