About the Program
The designers and technicians who bring performances to life are key members of the cast and express a distinct artistic point of view just as surely as if they were in front of the camera or on stage.
Sets, lighting, sound, music, costumes, props—all are critical elements of any performance, whether onstage or onscreen. Without creative forces determining these nuances, a potentially immersive experience quickly becomes lifeless and stale. The Stage and Screen Design and Technology program of Emerson College helps aspiring designers and technicians master their art form while discovering their artistic voice.
This interdisciplinary program was purpose-built to give you the knowledge needed to work across theater, television, and film. You will learn skills like set design, costuming, makeup, and rendering from award-winning faculty and accomplished industry veterans. You will have access to world-class production and design facilities, and be able to participate in production projects at our Boston and Los Angeles campuses. You’ll also have access to coveted internships through our impressive and close-knit network of alumni, many of whom are award winners in this field.
If you want the flexibility to apply your craft across both stage and screen, this unique but challenging program may be right for you. If you’re interested, you can first apply to our Theatre Design/Technology BFA, then commence the Stage & Screen program in your second year.
We believe that it takes true artists to add depth and dynamism to the performances that audiences see onstage and onscreen. This BFA degree will help you unleash your creativity and build a show-stopping artistic career—because even though you may be behind the scenes, your masterpieces will be front and center.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Programme StructureCourses offered:
- Stagecraft Costume Construction
- Stagecraft Scenic Construction
- History of Fashion & Decor: Design Research
- Theatre as a Collaborative Art
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before
DisciplinesDesign Theatre & Dance View 1335 other Bachelors in Theatre & Dance in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Official transcripts are required from each secondary school attended and should include courses taken and grades received in years.
- A School Report must be completed by your secondary school counselor or another school official, and must be submitted along with an official, signed transcript from your high school.
- The secondary school counselor evaluation should accompany the high school transcript and School Report.
- A minimum of one official teacher evaluation from someone who has taught you in an academic subject.
- We ask that all applicants submit first marking period (first quarter, midterm, first trimester) or mid-year (second quarter, first semester, second trimester) grades when they become available.
- Testing and English Language Proficiency Requirement.
- SAT or ACT Scores.
International50240 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 25120 USD per semester during 48 months.
National50240 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 25120 USD per semester during 48 months.
Living costs for Boston
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.