The courses in Oxy’s American Studies programme from the Occidental College major offer multiple perspectives on American culture, history, literature, arts, and American domestic and international politics. The curriculum draws upon courses in these subjects plus media arts and culture, psychology, religion, and more. Several American Studies courses are cross-listed with courses in Black Studies, East Asian Studies, Diplomacy & World Affairs, and Latino/a & Latin American Studies. We highly encourage our majors to apply for international and domestic off-campus study, and Oxy’s Los Angeles location offers myriad opportunities for community-based learning and community engagement.
The major in American studies prepares graduates for careers in business, education, law, media, public affairs, and non-government organizations. In fact, many employers seek to hire employees with knowledge on American culture and society. F
- United States Culture and Society
- The American Experience in Literature
- American Studies Theory and Methodology
- United States Redux: Introduction to American Studies
- African American Women Writers
- The Great Migration
- United States Latino Literature and Cultural Studies
- Asian American Literature
- Asian Immigrants in American Society
- The United States and East Asia
- Topics in American Studies
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesHistory Literature American Studies View 1578 other Bachelors in Literature in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Oxy's Required Short Answer Questions
- School Report
- Counselor Recommendation forms
- $65 application fee or fee waiver
- Official transcript
- Standardized test scores are optional for Fall 2021 applicants.
- Midyear report after your first term of senior year.
- Two letters of recommendation from teachers (in core academic subjects). Ideally, we’d like letters from 10th- to 12th-grade classes.
International55980 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 55980 USD per year during 48 months.
National55980 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 55980 USD per year during 48 months.
Living costs for Iowa City
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.