The Program in Religion at The City University of New York offers over eighty courses, including several courses in aspects of each of the major world religions (Judaism, Christianity, Islam, Hinduism and Buddhism) as well as in the traditional religions of Africa, Oceania and the Americas; courses in various methodological approaches to the study of religions; and courses in specific issues (such as faith and disbelief, mysticism, myth and ritual, religious experience, the problem of evil, the meaning of love and sex, and the meaning of death) that are fundamental to all religions.
Courses Required for the Major (30 credits)
A major in religion consists of 30 credits. A sequence of courses for the major normally includes REL 11000-Nature of Religion, REL 11100-Approaches to Religion, REL 25100-Asian Religions, and REL 25300-Abrahamic Religions followed by at least one course in theoretical studies and at least one course in religious issues.
- Introduction to the Field of Religion
- Theoretical studies in Religion
- Issues in Religion
- Religious Traditions
On becoming a major the student, in consultation with the director, will select one member of the program in Religion staff as his or her major adviser. Each religion major is required to consult with this adviser at least twice a year.
Programme StructureCourses include:
- Nature of Religion (W)
- Religion and Psychology (W)
- Anthropology of Religion
- Ideas of God in Contemporary Western Thought (W)
- Ancient Near Eastern Religions (W)
- Asian Religions (W)
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesAnthropology Psychology Religious Studies & Theology View 762 other Bachelors in Anthropology in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- For purposes of admission, an international student is defined as an applicant who currently holds a student (F-1) or Exchange visitor (J-1) visa or seeks to change such an immigration status upon enrollment.
- 30+ POINTS WITH AN IB DIPLOMA: Students who have completed an IB Diploma with 30 points or higher may be awarded 30 credits
- An official college transcript(s) is required in order to be evaluated for college credit at Hunter
International18600 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 18600 USD per year during 48 months.
National18600 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 18600 USD per year during 48 months.
In-State6930 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 6930 USD per year during 48 months.
- Resident: $305 per credit
- Non-resident: $620 per credit
Living costs for New York City
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.