At the Politics and German BA course offered by the University of Southampton you'll start German at a level that matches your spoken and written ability to ensure rapid progress. You’ll also have excellent resources to support you. The Centre for Language Study at Southampton has everything you need.
Each year includes compulsory modules to build your German language knowledge and develop your political analysis. These are combined with a wide range of optional modules, allowing you to tailor your learning to suit your interests and ambitions. You can also take courses from different subject areas or learn a different language.
A special module in year 2 will make sure you’re ready for working and studying abroad in year 3.
You can spend your year abroad in any of the following countries:
This degree gives you the opportunity to learn another language from scratch, such as:
In your final year you can specialise in an area of politics or German that suits your interests and combines well with what you’ve studied so far.
As a Modern Languages graduate, you can choose from a wide variety of employment options. These will make the most of your skills in:
- gathering and interpreting information
- working with and leading teams
- understanding and adapting to different cultures
Previous graduates have gone on to careers including:
- international development consultant
- roles in advertising, film and television
Programme StructureCourses include:
- Academic skills for Modern Language students
- International Relations
- Political Systems
- Modern German Culture
- German Linguistic Studies
- German History, Politics and Society
- Minorities and Migrants: Exploring Multicultural Germany
- Public Service Interpreting
- Audiovisual Translation
- Writing in a Second Language
- Global Justice: Theories and Debates
- American Power and World Order
- Global Governance
- Public Policy Analysis
- European Security Governance
- The Politics and Governance of the EU
- The Politics of Latin America
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesLanguages Political Science Linguistics View 785 other Bachelors in Political Science in United Kingdom
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
One of the following:
- A-levels: ABB including German
- International Baccalaureate Diploma: Pass, with 32 points overall with 16 points at Higher Level, including 5 at Higher Level in German
- BTEC: Distinction, Distinction in the BTEC Extended Diploma plus B in A level German or Distinction, Distinction in the BTEC Diploma plus B in A level German or Distinction in the BTEC Subsidiary Diploma plus AB in A level German and one further A level
International19300 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 19300 GBP per year during 48 months.
National9250 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9250 GBP per year during 48 months.
EU and international students pay £19,300.
Living costs for Southampton
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.