The French Department provides its students with a thorough training in French language and culture, enabling them to interact freely and easily with French native speakers in all areas of linguistic competency. Students at the Middlebury College acquire an active command of written and spoken French, and discover and appreciate French and Francophone cultures. In addition to building linguistic and cultural competence in all students, we seek to provide more advanced students with the analytical skills necessary to understand the expressions and manifestations of these cultures through the study, in French, of literature, cinema, history, the arts, and the social sciences.
Finally, since we believe that direct contact and experience with the French-speaking world in and beyond the classroom are inseparable from these goals, we also encourage students to take advantage of the opportunities afforded them for study in French-speaking countries.
- Students, both majors and non-majors, should use French actively in all courses throughout the sequence, and language skills will be assessed at all levels.
- Students should be able to study in different fields and disciplines using French.
- Students should have the opportunity to study in a French-language culture. Majors are expected to study abroad, preferably for a full year. A student's academic program should include course work at one of the country's post-secondary academic institutions. We expect all students abroad to make a serious attempt to improve their linguistic and cultural skills.
- Majors should pursue a balanced and coherent program of study among language, literature and culture, and between the historical and the contemporary .
- Majors should form some acquaintance with Francophone literatures and cultures.
- Majors should graduate with active competence in French.
- Senior work should involve independent research, reading, and reflection in the context of a senior seminar or independent project.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Beginning French Part One
- Beginning French Part Two
- Beginning French Part Three
- Accelerated Beginning French
- Intermediate French
- Identity in French Literature
- Communities in Fren Culture
- From Romanticism to Modernism
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Language Studies Languages View 2066 other Bachelors in Area & Cultural Studies in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Essay: Middlebury admissions requires an application essay.
- Two Teacher Recommendations: Allow ample time for teachers to complete their recommendations online by the deadline.
- School Report, Counselor Recommendation, and Transcript
- Senior Grades: All applicants should request that their counselor send midyear grades
- Application Fee: Our $65 application fee is nonrefundable.
- English Proficiency Test: Middlebury accepts a number of English proficiency tests for students whose first language is not English or whose secondary education has been at a school where English is not the primary language of instruction.
- Additional Materials: You will be able to upload additional materials directly to your student portal. We cannot guarantee that any additional materials submitted beyond what is required will be reviewed by our admissions readers, but we make every effort to read or view all materials sent to us.
International57880 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 57880 USD per year during 48 months.
National57880 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 57880 USD per year during 48 months.
Living costs for Middlebury
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.