Students apply critical thought from a wide array of intellectual traditions, including:
- critical ethnic studies,
- performance studies,
- disability studies,
- the history of science,
- the Frankfurt School,
- critical race studies,
- queer theory,
- feminist theory,
- postcolonial theory.
Critical Social Thought puts less emphasis on the social, cultural, or scientific objects under study than on its distinctive, interdisciplinary methodology in which student-driven inquiry and research combines theoretical and social critique with a concern for addressing pressing social issues.
Each student who gets a Bachelor in Critical Social Thought from Mount Holyoke College shall meet with the program chair and the director of advising, preferably during the first semester of her sophomore year, to discuss her intellectual interests and to select two advisors from the critical social thought faculty who will help her sculpt hercurriculum around a central question of her choice.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Programme StructureCourses Included:
- Science, Revolution, and Modernity
- Topics in Critical Social Thought
- Foundations in Critical Social Thought
- Buddhist Ethnics
- Introduction to African Diaspora Religions
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesSocial Work Ethnic Studies View 175 other Masters in Ethnic Studies in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Common Application or Coalition Application
- Mount Holyoke Writing Supplement (optional)
- Secondary School Report, including official high school transcript
- Counselor Recommendation
- Two Teacher Evaluation Forms (from core academic courses)
- Midyear Report (due February 15, as applicable)*
- Standardized Test Scores (optional)
- Art Supplement (optional)
- English Proficiency Requirements for non-native English speakers
- Early Decision Agreement (if applicable)
- Interview (optional, but strongly encouraged)
International54400 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 54400 USD per year and a duration of 48 months.
National54400 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 54400 USD per year and a duration of 48 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.