As a field of inquiry, The Bachelor in Africana Studies from Mount Holyoke College describes and analyzes the origins and experiences of people of African descent wherever they live or have lived. This field is informed by the intellectual traditions of African American, African, and African Diasporic studies. While it has a renewed focus on the connections and movements of African-descended people from different sites of Africa and the diaspora, it also values in depth study of black people in discrete local, regional and national contexts. This field is inherently comparative, international, and interdisciplinary in approach, embracing the range of fields in the humanities and social sciences and including the performing arts.
The major prepares students for a number of careers:
- international affairs
- law, education
- public health
- religious studies
- literature and the arts
- business management
The Africana Studies program offers courses on the societies and cultures of Africa and the African diaspora, including the Caribbean and Latin America. Courses offerings also cover subjects such as identity and community, black women writers, social thought, film, and race theory.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Programme StructureCourses Included:
- Foundations of Africana Studies
- Introduction to Twentieth-Century Critical Race Theory
- Topics in Africana Studies: 'Afro-Latin America: From Slavery to Invisibility'
- Topics in Africana Studies: 'African American History, Precolonial to Emancipation'
- Independent Study
- Urban Policy
- Luminous Darkness: African American Social Thought After DuBois
- Politics of Decolonization
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Language Studies View 1858 other Masters in Area & Cultural Studies in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Common Application or Coalition Application
- Mount Holyoke Writing Supplement (optional)
- Secondary School Report, including official high school transcript
- Counselor Recommendation
- Two Teacher Evaluation Forms (from core academic courses)
- Midyear Report (due February 15, as applicable)*
- Standardized Test Scores (optional)
- Art Supplement (optional)
- English Proficiency Requirements for non-native English speakers
- Early Decision Agreement (if applicable)
- Interview (optional, but strongly encouraged)
International54400 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 54400 USD per year and a duration of 48 months.
National54400 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 54400 USD per year and a duration of 48 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.