The first year Life Science course is taken along with other basic science courses. From it you should know why and how organisms are classified, how they interact with each other and their environment. You will also examine important life functions, including how characteristics are transmitted to the next generation.
Later in this Biodiversity & Conservation Biology program at University of the Western Cape you will learn more of plants and animals, possibly with some environmental science, biochemistry and microbiology incorporated.
With a university degree, a positive outlook and a good imagination, you can create your own career path.
A BSc degree is valuable for anyone interested in teaching, as South Africa is facing a tremendous shortage of teaching, particularly in the area of science. However, a career in Biodiversity and Conservation Biology will require further study.
- Environmental Journalists
- Fisheries Scientists
- Herbarium Curators / Managers
- Museum Scientists and Curators
- Nature Conservators
- Private Consultancies
- Veterinary Scientists
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Life Sciences
- Introduction to Mathematics
- Introduction to Science
- Life Sciences
- Earth Science
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesBiology Biodiversity & Conservation Biochemistry View 64 other Bachelors in Biology in South Africa
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- The study permit application form
- A valid passport
- An official letter from UWC stating that you have been accepted for the course and the duration of the course
- A police clearance certificate for every country you have lived in for more than a year since you were 18 (less than 6 months old)
- A Medical Report (specific form to be filled in)
- A Radiological Report (In the form of a chest X-Ray to confirm you do not have TB - specific form to be filled in)
- Medical cover with a registered South African medical scheme for the duration of your course or which can be renewed yearly for the duration of the course.
International5280 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 5280 USD per year during 48 months.
National1958 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1958 USD per year during 48 months.
- Local: R32,800 - R45,650 South African Rands
- International: R76,520 South African Rands
Living costs for Cape Town
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.